without any intern/job/research experience Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yyfhailey

New

without any intern/job/research experience

Post by yyfhailey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi,
I am currently a junior international student (attending college in U.S.) and plan to apply for law schools this fall. I currently have a 3.86 GPA and aim for a 170+ LSAT. I am planning to do K-JD for several personal reasons, and one major one is that I don't see a big chance to get a full-time job directly after college as a foreign student majoring in math. But I don't have any internship, will that be a big disadvantage? I guess it is too late to apply for summer interns but I can probably find some research opportunities during the summer. Another option is to apply next year: my school offers a 4+1 program so I can spend one additional year and obtain a master's degree in math, in which case I will graduate in May 2021 and I can gain some intern/research experience during the summer of 2020. Will that help?

dropout

New

Re: without any intern/job/research experience

Post by dropout » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Softs, such as work experience, rarely matter for admissions with the exception of YS

Lxwind

New

Re: without any intern/job/research experience

Post by Lxwind » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 pm

A short internship/research experience won't matter that much, on the other hand, a higher LSAT score is much more important...so it perhaps makes more sense to spend more time preparing for LSAT....why would it be difficult to find a job as a math student? As an international myself I think finding a full-time job is easier for STEM students, especially when visa plays a role since the OPT for STEM student is 3-year as opposed to 1-year for non-STEM students...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”