Reality check, please! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Scutrules

New

Reality check, please!

Post by Scutrules » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 am

Currently in the process of hearing back from law schools (okay, I've only heard back from 3 but it's a start) and I think I could use a reality check.

Pertinent info: 3.44 UGPA, 160 LSAT (only took it once), naval officer vet.

Heard back from: Drexel (full tuition scholarship), Baylor (%50 scholarship), and GW (waitlisted).
Waiting for results from: Cincinnati, Penn State Dickinson, Temple, George Mason, Davis, OSU, U Georgia, and Emory.

I want to end up in the public interest realm and I'm okay with a 60-70K salary as an experienced lawyer in the field. I have a VA stipend, which helps me as well. I plan to stay regional to the area in which I will attend law school, at least for the few years after graduating, so I'm not looking for any national weight (I'm aware I haven't applied to any schools that fit that criteria).

Is what I'm planning for absolutely ridiculous? I know public interest is not easy to get into but I think being able to survive off of a lower salary at first (I'm talking 30K) will allow me to take less attractive jobs. Is going to a ~T100 school going to seriously hurt me in this regard?

I do want to attend law school but I want to make sure I'm being smart in my decision making. Thank you for reading!

cavalier1138

Re: Reality check, please!

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:12 am

What area of PI do you want to work in? And where do you want to work? Your school list is all over the place.

Scutrules

New

Post by Scutrules » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:What area of PI do you want to work in? And where do you want to work? Your school list is all over the place.
I know it is... ideally I'd like to work in either PA or OH. I applied to a UC because I have CA residency but I'd rather not stay in state. Really interested in working with low income individuals, likely at a nonprofit agency. Domestic violence, at-risk youth, that type of stuff. I see it as a form of advocacy and representation that I need to be a part of.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:47 am

Scutrules wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What area of PI do you want to work in? And where do you want to work? Your school list is all over the place.
I know it is... ideally I'd like to work in either PA or OH. I applied to a UC because I have CA residency but I'd rather not stay in state. Really interested in working with low income individuals, likely at a nonprofit agency. Domestic violence, at-risk youth, that type of stuff. I see it as a form of advocacy and representation that I need to be a part of.
Then those goals are realistic from the schools you listed. I would ignore any non-PA or OH schools, and take the best option you have that won't cost you anything (depending on what your VA stipend is covering.

But it might make more sense to narrow down some organizations you want to work with and verify that they have taken on attorneys from the schools you're targeting. Then start interning with them while you're in school.

Scutrules

New

Post by Scutrules » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 am

cavalier1138 wrote: But it might make more sense to narrow down some organizations you want to work with and verify that they have taken on attorneys from the schools you're targeting. Then start interning with them while you're in school.
That's really good advice, thank you. I'll be sure to do that, it'll definitely help me narrow down my list. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”