How do foreign LLB + LLM holders fare for JD admissions? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JosephG_001

New

How do foreign LLB + LLM holders fare for JD admissions?

Post by JosephG_001 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:59 pm

I am exclusively a US citizen, but moved to England after 11th grade with my family and am now in the final year of my LLB at a very high-ranking English university. I've also been accepted into an LLM program in England for the upcoming academic year. However, as a result of shifting personal circumstances, I am contemplating returning to the United States and pursuing a JD after earning my LLM (finances are not a concern, and I have come to realize that I will be more competitive in the US market with a JD).

I know that LSAT scores are of prodigious importance for foreign applicants, but would also like to know if my LLB + LLM will put me at any sort of advantage or disadvantage compared to both US and international applicants. Will schools dislike that I haven't studied a different subject prior to their JD program, or will they think that a student with a foreign legal education could add additional perspective (despite my being American)?

albanach

Gold

Re: How do foreign LLB + LLM holders fare for JD admissions?

Post by albanach » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:52 pm

JosephG_001 wrote:I am exclusively a US citizen, but moved to England after 11th grade with my family and am now in the final year of my LLB at a very high-ranking English university. I've also been accepted into an LLM program in England for the upcoming academic year. However, as a result of shifting personal circumstances, I am contemplating returning to the United States and pursuing a JD after earning my LLM (finances are not a concern, and I have come to realize that I will be more competitive in the US market with a JD).

I know that LSAT scores are of prodigious importance for foreign applicants, but would also like to know if my LLB + LLM will put me at any sort of advantage or disadvantage compared to both US and international applicants. Will schools dislike that I haven't studied a different subject prior to their JD program, or will they think that a student with a foreign legal education could add additional perspective (despite my being American)?
My gut inclination is that you'll be fine so long as you have a decent LSAT.

Schools may be concerned about international applicants because employment outcomes impact ranking and graduates without work authorization can expect a harder time finding employment with a valid sponsor. You can put that concern to rest.

Your UG GPA won't be reportable. I'm presuming you're graduating with at least a 2:1, so that's not likely to be a concern.

So then the question is just having someone in the class who already has a legal education. However most schools already handle this with LLM students.

One question would be, why are you interested in the English LLM? That might give the impression that you're more interested in being a perpetual student.

Stifling

New

Re: How do foreign LLB + LLM holders fare for JD admissions?

Post by Stifling » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Almost no weight. LSAT matters the most, then your grade (1st, upper 2nd etc.) and the reputation of the uni next. This is coming from my experience from 4 years ago so take with grain of salt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”