Application considerations (part/full time) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CA_applicant

New

Application considerations (part/full time)

Post by CA_applicant » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:21 am

Hi, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a clear path at the moment.

So background:
URM/ lower Ivy undergrad degree / 3.0 GPA with decent internship and work experience/ took some LSAT prep courses and was consistently getting mid-160s (but started studying again to take the test in Jan)

I'm just weighing the pros and cons of applying this cycle to part-time programs in California (which is where I'm working at the moment and would like to end up) and applying next cycle and trying my luck for "more decent" schools full-time. Depending on my LSAT, I think/hope I could get into some UC's, which are typically more well regarded than the part-time programs I'm considering (LMU, USD, etc.). I'd really appreciate any insight/comments on where it's likely to get in or the difference between a better school full-time or going to school part-time with a job.

Jobwise, it's basically limited to the public sector; I really like public service and that's something I think is unlikely to change. I guess where I am stuck is wondering if it's worth it to either stop working to spend 3 years in law school (depending on how "good" of a school I get in, and it doesn't necessarily have to be CA if it's full-time, but trying for top & splitter-friendly schools would be ideal) or worth to put myself through the daunting task of part-time law while working.

If take the Jan test and apply soon, I think I'd be fine for the local part-time programs, but I'm not so sure that's what I want... Any advice would be great!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”