slightly below median GPA for H...get it up or just chill Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cantwaittoberich

New

slightly below median GPA for H...get it up or just chill

Post by cantwaittoberich » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:41 pm

I was thoroughly shocked, upset, and disgusted to see Harvard’s median GPA go up from a 3.86 to a 3.9 this year, as I had been aiming for just above the former number throughout the course of my collegiate studies. I am planning on taking a lighter unit load this coming semester as I prep for the LSAT, so the highest my GPA could be when it comes time to apply in Septemberish would be a 3.88, maybe a 3.87 (currently at a 3.85). Assuming my LSAT is at the median, preferably near the 75th, will this even be an issue? If my chances would be even slightly higher if I had a 3.89 or a 3.9, I would add on more units between now and application time.

QContinuum

Re: slightly below median GPA for H...get it up or just chill

Post by QContinuum » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:59 pm

• Your LSAT will be far, far, far more important than a <0.05 variation in your GPA.
  • Packing on extra credits will not guarantee you a higher GPA. Packing on extra credits could actually lower your GPA.
  • Don't blithely assume a 173+ (let alone a 175+) LSAT score. The LSAT is a learnable test, but it's still not easy by any means to land in the top 0.9% of LSAT takers nationwide.
  • Don't obsess over H in particular. H is unquestionably an absolutely terrific law school, but it's not the only great law school in the country (there are 13 of them) and it's not even the best law school (that's Yale) or the #2 law school (that's Stanford).

cantwaittoberich

New

Post by cantwaittoberich » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:38 pm

QContinuum wrote:
  • Your LSAT will be far, far, far more important than a <0.05 variation in your GPA.
  • Packing on extra credits will not guarantee you a higher GPA. Packing on extra credits could actually lower your GPA.
  • Don't blithely assume a 173+ (let alone a 175+) LSAT score. The LSAT is a learnable test, but it's still not easy by any means to land in the top 0.9% of LSAT takers nationwide.
  • Don't obsess over H in particular. H is unquestionably an absolutely terrific law school, but it's not the only great law school in the country (there are 13 of them) and it's not even the best law school (that's Yale) or the #2 law school (that's Stanford).
Forgot to mention that the extra class I would add on would be relevant to the LSAT (a philosophy class on logic) so I might be killing two birds w one stone. Since it’s a lower level class meant for first year students I’m 99% sure it would help my GPA, not hurt.

I’m not assuming, I’m ready to work my ass off for a high score...just curious as to whether the additional class (15 unit courseload) is worth the GPA boost if it might take away some valuable LSAT study time vs a 12 unit courseload. I plan on taking a prep class and working closely with a tutor fwiw...and I’m not too sure about my chances for Y or S hence the love for Harvard LOL

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Don't go straight through, finish college, work for a year or two, take the LSAT, profit.

cantwaittoberich

New

Post by cantwaittoberich » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Don't go straight through, finish college, work for a year or two, take the LSAT, profit.
I have a lot of stamina rn, it will probably decrease as I get older so I would like to do grad school while I have peak energy

Also my biological clock is ticking and I need to find a nice grad student to cuff ASAP (half joking)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Dear god you're not going to lose stamina in 1-2 years.

HamlinMcgill

New

Post by HamlinMcgill » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:24 pm

cantwaittoberich wrote: I have a lot of stamina rn, it will probably decrease as I get older so I would like to do grad school while I have peak energy

Also my biological clock is ticking and I need to find a nice grad student to cuff ASAP (half joking)
I know this is mostly a tongue-in-cheek response, but what are you, 20? You're not going to lose "stamina" for school any time soon (and many legal jobs probably require more "stamina" than law school anyway). If anything, taking some time to work can help you appreciate the upsides of being a student again. Also, jeez, your biological clock is not ticking. And even if it were, law school's not really the best place to meet a spouse...

I think most people benefit from taking some time to work before law school -- work experience makes your application stronger, gives you time to study for the LSAT, and can help you be sure you want to go to law school. I also think it potentially gives a slight edge with employers. That said, there is of course a cost in terms of time. So going straight through is defensible, in my opinion, if you're confident you already got your highest possible LSAT score, have zero doubts about law school, and have no interest in trying any other jobs.

As others have said, don't get so hung up on Harvard. Go to the school that makes the most sense for your career goals at a price you can afford.

As for the original question, you should just chill. You shouldn't be "shocked, upset, and disgusted" because one law school posted a tiny uptick in the median stats of its incoming class. Other aspects of your application (especially LSAT) are going to matter a lot more than hundredths of a point on your GPA.

cantwaittoberich

New

Post by cantwaittoberich » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:53 pm

:oops:
HamlinMcgill wrote:
cantwaittoberich wrote: I have a lot of stamina rn, it will probably decrease as I get older so I would like to do grad school while I have peak energy

I know this is mostly a tongue-in-cheek response, but what are you, 20? You're not going to lose "stamina" for school any time soon (and many legal jobs probably require more "stamina" than law school anyway). If anything, taking some time to work can help you appreciate the upsides of being a student again. Also, jeez, your biological clock is not ticking. And even if it were, law school's not really the best place to meet a spouse...

I think most people benefit from taking some time to work before law school -- work experience makes your application stronger, gives you time to study for the LSAT, and can help you be sure you want to go to law school. I also think it potentially gives a slight edge with employers. That said, there is of course a cost in terms of time. So going straight through is defensible, in my opinion, if you're confident you already got your highest possible LSAT score, have zero doubts about law school, and have no interest in trying any other jobs.

As others have said, don't get so hung up on Harvard. Go to the school that makes the most sense for your career goals at a price you can afford.

As for the original question, you should just chill. You shouldn't be "shocked, upset, and disgusted" because one law school posted a tiny uptick in the median stats of its incoming class. Other aspects of your application (especially LSAT) are going to matter a lot more than hundredths of a point on your GPA.
Thanks for the advice! Would you recommend then sticking to the lighter courseload of 12 units to maximize LSAT prep and not trying to balance 15 in order to get a .01-.02 higher GPA? I know the differences are minuscule but the numbers-driven application process has me a little neurotic. Just trying to see if slight variations in GPA will matter if my LSAT is good enough

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 am

cantwaittoberich wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Forgot to mention that the extra class I would add on would be relevant to the LSAT (a philosophy class on logic) so I might be killing two birds w one stone. Since it’s a lower level class meant for first year students I’m 99% sure it would help my GPA, not hurt.

I’m not assuming, I’m ready to work my ass off for a high score...just curious as to whether the additional class (15 unit courseload) is worth the GPA boost if it might take away some valuable LSAT study time vs a 12 unit courseload. I plan on taking a prep class and working closely with a tutor fwiw...and I’m not too sure about my chances for Y or S hence the love for Harvard LOL
With your GPA, if you can get a 173+ you will be very competitive for HLS. So if HLS is your goal, you should take the time required for all those extra classes and instead obsessively try to get a 173+. The LSAT gains are more important at this point than GPA gains.

That being said, I think a formal logic class could actually help with logic games. I don't think it's the MOST EFFECTIVE way of studying (that would be a Powerscore bible and drilling like crazy), but it would be helpful to some degree. It wouldn't help at all with reading comprehension.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:12 am

cantwaittoberich wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Don't go straight through, finish college, work for a year or two, take the LSAT, profit.
I have a lot of stamina rn, it will probably decrease as I get older so I would like to do grad school while I have peak energy

I mean, it’s your life, but there’s no special award for getting through life faster. Plus I think something like two-thirds or more of the Harvard class took time off. Plus anecdotally, pretty much all of my friends who took time off are super glad they did and think that it really helped come to their choice to go to law school and gave them good perspective. I took four years between undergrad and law school and I couldn’t imagine doing otherwise.

I’ve also never heard the stamina thing before as a justification for going straight through.

miskellyjohnson

New

Post by miskellyjohnson » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:37 am

Anyway, you are looking at GPA medians from last year, and it seems like you are thinking about applying next year (at the earliest). Schools do not compare you to GPA medians from two years ago (they don't even really compare you to GPA medians from one year ago). Medians go up and down a couple tenths of a point all the time.

You could take an extra class to get up to a 3.9, and the GPA medians may have dropped back to 3.87 by the time you apply, or they may have gone up to 3.92 or something. So no, do not freak out about having a 3.88. That GPA is good enough to get you into Harvard. In fact, half the class at Harvard likely has below that, and they still somehow got in.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:14 pm

cantwaittoberich wrote:

These are among the worst reasons to go to law school I’ve ever heard. If you’re worried about fatigue now, you won’t survive biglaw. If you want a spouse or partner, I’m not sure why that requires law school admission.

You sound like a super intense gunner. You should focus on nailing the LSAT.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Npret wrote:
cantwaittoberich wrote:

These are among the worst reasons to go to law school I’ve ever heard. If you’re worried about fatigue now, you won’t survive biglaw. If you want a spouse or partner, I’m not sure why that requires law school admission.

You sound like a super intense gunner. You should focus on nailing the LSAT.
Seconding the above. Law school, while certainly challenging, requires much less stamina than BigLaw. IME, most law students come in already in committed relationships (in large part because many are already in their mid-twenties, a few years out of undergrad); the pool of eligible singles at 1L orientation won't be as large as you might hope or expect. And focusing on dating your classmates isn't necessarily the best approach anyway; law school's a surprisingly small community and dating around in that pool is kind of an open invitation for drama.

If stamina's a concern, maybe reevaluate whether BigLaw's right for you. (Granted, I don't think you've said ITT that you're shooting for BigLaw, but given your username...) If getting cuffed is a concern, use a dating app (there are apps where you can filter for education level and even school) - you'll get far more ROI from the apps than from being a law student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HamlinMcgill

New

Post by HamlinMcgill » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:17 pm

cantwaittoberich wrote::oops:
HamlinMcgill wrote:

Thanks for the advice! Would you recommend then sticking to the lighter courseload of 12 units to maximize LSAT prep and not trying to balance 15 in order to get a .01-.02 higher GPA? I know the differences are minuscule but the numbers-driven application process has me a little neurotic. Just trying to see if slight variations in GPA will matter if my LSAT is good enough
I echo the advice the others have said here, but to respond specifically -- yeah, I would probably recommend the lighter course load. Or just take the courses that you want to take before you graduate from college! This is your last time in college. Enjoy hanging out with your friends, take classes that seem interesting, keep your course load manageable, and just do your best to get good grades.

Yes, the law school admissions process is numbers-driven, but honestly, getting super neurotic about a hundredth of a GPA point is a) not worth it, and b) not going to help you anyway. There's no way to know whether taking a heavier course load will help or hurt your GPA and other things (like LSAT and work experience) are going to matter more at this point anyway.

So even if all that mattered in your life was maximizing your chances to get into Harvard Law right after undergrad, you should probably take the lighter course load. But I think what most of the people on this thread are saying is that isn't how you should approach this process.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Honestly I’m surprised that someone who doesn’t have an LSAT score is asking about chances at Harvard. There have been more than a few posts from 0Ls asking about GPA while assuming a stellar LSAT.

Yes, the LSAT is learnable but not everyone is going to get a 178, or whatever score you’re imagining. You have to take the exam first. You absolutely can not assume you will get a “Harvard level” LSAT.

The LSAT is as important as GPA. Even with a solid GPA you’re only partway there.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 am

The rest of the advice covers the litany of other issues with your mindset, so I’ll just address the poor understanding of statistics in the context of admissions. Schools at this level (honestly it seems YS may be the only exceptions to fairly strict number hunting admissions, so really it’s from H down) set a goal median LSAT (which is closer to a floor, because bumping one point is always nice, but not worth sacrificing much on GPA), and they have a tight range of a GPA goal. So while last year their GPA upticked some, that is not any indication of future medians beyond knowing that it’ll be in the same ballpark as it has been recently. This last year saw a big uptick in applicants, which would likely mean generally higher numbers, especially near the top (most medians were the same or increased across the T14). Depending on the economy, continued belief that law school gives you the tools/opportunity to fight for political belief, and the health of the legal industry could impact that applicant pool, either maintaining those types of GPAs, or alternatively seeing a marked decrease if the legal industry takes a downturn or a litany of other reasons for law school applicants shriveling up.

Enjoy your senior year, take the lighter load that keeps you right in that target GPA range, and graduate proudly. Go live out in the real world where you’ll learn real life stamina, and come back to law school when it’ll still be there waiting for you. Rushing into law school is usually justified with poor reasoning, and your reasoning is no exception here. Next cycle’s GPA median at H will be somewhere at/around 3.9. Your GPA is at/around there. Any marginal gain you think you’ll make inflating that GPA can’t hurt, but you’re still highly competitive with the right LSAT.

Oh yeah, and please for the love of all that is holy, don’t focus on any one school when you apply. This decision is a transaction. You want a career started off on the right foot, they want your tuition dollars and GPA/LSAT. Basically everything else at this level of school is window dressing with a mix of subjective personal preference. Pay as little as you can to set yourself up for the career you think you want.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:42 am

UVA2B wrote:Oh yeah, and please for the love of all that is holy, don’t focus on any one school when you apply. This decision is a transaction. You want a career started off on the right foot, they want your tuition dollars and GPA/LSAT. Basically everything else at this level of school is window dressing with a mix of subjective personal preference. Pay as little as you can to set yourself up for the career you think you want.
I mean, I get it. It's HARVARD. It's guaranteed to impress Gramps and Gran, the overly critical great-aunt, the clerk at the gas station. Laypeople who've never heard of Stanford or Berkeley or even Yale are impressed by Harvard.

But none of that actually matters, career-wise. Neither the overly critical great-aunt nor the gas station clerk will be in a position to hire a T13 graduate. And the reality is, Harvard is an extraordinarily strong school, a terrific school, but its placement power doesn't exceed that of CCN or the rest of the T13 to the extent where it'd make sense to obsess over Harvard alone to the exclusion of the remainder of the T13. For many, even most students, particularly BigLaw aspirants, attending another T13 at a substantial discount will make far more practical sense than paying full freight for Harvard.

Also, as for that lay prestige... you know what'll get even more respect from the man on the street than a Harvard Law pedigree? Military service. Being a cop. Being a doctor. If you hadn't noticed, the country (and much of the world) is in an elite-bashing mood. Catch the man on the street on the wrong day and he might very well tar and feather you for being a "coastal elite" instead of feting you for being a Harvardian. And the man on the street has long viewed lawyers with a certain degree of suspicion and disdain. No one's going to thank you for being a lawyer. Lots of folks will thank you and look up to you for serving in the military or being a cop. The man on the street will respect and trust a doctor far more than he'll respect or trust a lawyer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cantwaittoberich

New

Post by cantwaittoberich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:11 am

:oops:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
cantwaittoberich wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

With your GPA, if you can get a 173+ you will be very competitive for HLS. So if HLS is your goal, you should take the time required for all those extra classes and instead obsessively try to get a 173+. The LSAT gains are more important at this point than GPA gains.

That being said, I think a formal logic class could actually help with logic games. I don't think it's the MOST EFFECTIVE way of studying (that would be a Powerscore bible and drilling like crazy), but it would be helpful to some degree. It wouldn't help at all with reading comprehension.

Thank you!! Would the same apply for a course on say critical thinking in your opinion or nah?

cantwaittoberich

New

Post by cantwaittoberich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:53 am

miskellyjohnson wrote:Anyway, you are looking at GPA medians from last year, and it seems like you are thinking about applying next year (at the earliest). Schools do not compare you to GPA medians from two years ago (they don't even really compare you to GPA medians from one year ago). Medians go up and down a couple tenths of a point all the time.

You could take an extra class to get up to a 3.9, and the GPA medians may have dropped back to 3.87 by the time you apply, or they may have gone up to 3.92 or something. So no, do not freak out about having a 3.88. That GPA is good enough to get you into Harvard. In fact, half the class at Harvard likely has below that, and they still somehow got in.
If Yale were the school in question (I know it’s sort of a black box when it comes to admissions and definitely a reach) would you still say that that GPA is good enough? I know they look more at soft factors but they also do have a higher GPA median than H

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:57 pm

cantwaittoberich wrote:
miskellyjohnson wrote:Anyway, you are looking at GPA medians from last year, and it seems like you are thinking about applying next year (at the earliest). Schools do not compare you to GPA medians from two years ago (they don't even really compare you to GPA medians from one year ago). Medians go up and down a couple tenths of a point all the time.

If Yale were the school in question (I know it’s sort of a black box when it comes to admissions and definitely a reach) would you still say that that GPA is good enough? I know they look more at soft factors but they also do have a higher GPA median than H
Have you listened to any advice here?
What’s your LSAT ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:08 pm

cantwaittoberich wrote:
UVA2B wrote:The rest of the advice covers the litany of other issues with your mindset, so I’ll just address the poor understanding of statistics in the context of admissions. Schools at this level (honestly it seems YS may be the only exceptions to fairly strict number hunting admissions, so really it’s from H down) set a goal median LSAT (which is closer to a floor, because bumping one point is always nice, but not worth sacrificing much on GPA), and they have a tight range of a GPA goal. So while last year their GPA upticked some, that is not any indication of future medians beyond knowing that it’ll be in the same ballpark as it has been recently. This last year saw a big uptick in applicants, which would likely mean generally higher numbers, especially near the top (most medians were the same or increased across the T14). Depending on the economy, continued belief that law school gives you the tools/opportunity to fight for political belief, and the health of the legal industry could impact that applicant pool, either maintaining those types of GPAs, or alternatively seeing a marked decrease if the legal industry takes a downturn or a litany of other reasons for law school applicants shriveling up.

Enjoy your senior year, take the lighter load that keeps you right in that target GPA range, and graduate proudly. Go live out in the real world where you’ll learn real life stamina, and come back to law school when it’ll still be there waiting for you. Rushing into law school is usually justified with poor reasoning, and your reasoning is no exception here. Next cycle’s GPA median at H will be somewhere at/around 3.9. Your GPA is at/around there. Any marginal gain you think you’ll make inflating that GPA can’t hurt, but you’re still highly competitive with the right LSAT.

Oh yeah, and please for the love of all that is holy, don’t focus on any one school when you apply. This decision is a transaction. You want a career started off on the right foot, they want your tuition dollars and GPA/LSAT. Basically everything else at this level of school is window dressing with a mix of subjective personal preference. Pay as little as you can to set yourself up for the career you think you want.
Good question/response. I’ll get back to you when I think through all of it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantwaittoberich

New

Post by cantwaittoberich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Npret wrote:
cantwaittoberich wrote:

What’s your LSAT ?
Have yet to take it but my question doesn't have to do with my chances including it it's about what I can control at this very moment in time, which is class selection

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 pm

cantwaittoberich wrote:
Npret wrote:
cantwaittoberich wrote:

What’s your LSAT ?
Have yet to take it but my question doesn't have to do with my chances including it it's about what I can control at this very moment in time, which is class selection
Aren’t your questions based on the assumption you will get an LSAT score that will get you into Harvard or Yale?
You’re looking at putting time into a potential minor GPA difference instead of putting time into the exam which is of equal weight to GPA. It’s apparent to me which is crucial and a better investment of time. You can control when and how you study for the LSAT, so I don’t understand your argument.

PanjandrumOfReason

New

Post by PanjandrumOfReason » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:11 am

I'm going to take the alternative view. Harvard is #3 but wants to be #1. While a 0.01 difference in GPA seems trivial, if that 0.01 amounts to a difference between being above median and not being above median, it could be a significant selling point. Since the future median is unknown and since your current GPA could be at or just below it, I think it would be worth your while to take the extra class to improve your GPA. Further, you only get once chance at GPA; once you obtain your first degree, it is final. You might as well take advantage of the opportunity to improve your GPA while you still have it. Unlike with GPA, the door on the LSAT is never closed; you can take it as many times as you want, so you have no need to worry about if the extra class you take in order to increase your GPA will hinder your LSAT prep.

Also, does no one find it hilarious that OP claimed they were aiming for just above a 3.86 GPA? How specifically does one aim for 3.86?! However OP did it, though, it seemed to have worked.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”