Illinois Deans Scholar Full Tuition Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bestes

New

Illinois Deans Scholar Full Tuition

Post by Bestes » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:14 pm

For those thinking of applying to Illinois with stronger stats they have introduced a new scholarship this year. I received a text today telling me I was admitted as a "Dean's Scholar" which covers full tuition and has some other benefits. I'm an Illinois resident so the cost/benefit is not as great at it might otherwise be, but if I were to attend it would reduce the cost of Law School to about $65K. Not entirely clear how many applicants will be offered this scholarship. My LSAT is 172 and my GPA is 3.88 K-JD path

cavalier1138

Re: Illinois Deans Scholar Full Tuition

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Bestes wrote:For those thinking of applying to Illinois with stronger stats they have introduced a new scholarship this year. I received a text today telling me I was admitted as a "Dean's Scholar" which covers full tuition and has some other benefits. I'm an Illinois resident so the cost/benefit is not as great at it might otherwise be, but if I were to attend it would reduce the cost of Law School to about $65K. Not entirely clear how many applicants will be offered this scholarship. My LSAT is 172 and my GPA is 3.88 K-JD path
Congrats, but you're going to get much, much better offers than that with your stats.

Bestes

New

Post by Bestes » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:43 pm

I've tried to figure out from this website and others what type of scholarships I might get. It seems like some folks share this information and some don't. I posted about Illinois because their text said it was a new program that others might not yet know about. Do you think Chicago, Columbia or NYU would offer me scholarships like this?

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Bestes wrote:I've tried to figure out from this website and others what type of scholarships I might get. It seems like some folks share this information and some don't. I posted about Illinois because their text said it was a new program that others might not yet know about. Do you think Chicago, Columbia or NYU would offer me scholarships like this?
My stats were a good bit worse and I got a full ride including living expenses to a T14. You'll do way better...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Bestes wrote:I've tried to figure out from this website and others what type of scholarships I might get. It seems like some folks share this information and some don't. I posted about Illinois because their text said it was a new program that others might not yet know about. Do you think Chicago, Columbia or NYU would offer me scholarships like this?
I don't know if you'd get a full ride from CCN, but you're pretty much guaranteed one at a lower T13.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:28 am

MyLSN is your friend, OP:
tl;dr: You should be setting your sights much higher than Illinois.

Bestes

New

Post by Bestes » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 pm

Full list of schools I've applied to: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, U.Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Michigan, UVA, Duke, Georgetown, GWU, Wisconsin, Illinois. Not sure if this counts as "blanketing" the T14 schools but I don't think anyone could accuse me of selling myself short or not applying to top law schools. Cornell - is too cold, Penn - I visited when applying to undergraduate schools and the chemistry was not right, Northwestern - is in my hometown but they seem to really want applicants with work experience, UC Berkeley - if I'm going to go to school in California it will be Stanford

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Excuse my Cornell promotion, but don't let the cold keep you from applying there! As a fellow Midwesterner (Indiana), the winter so far is pretty similar to what I'm used to.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 pm

You should absolutely apply to Northwestern if you want to work in Chicago or want to negotiate a scholarship with UChicago.

Also, Wisconsin and UMich are at least on par with Cornell for being cold

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”