How does transferring from community college to top 10 public university affect chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whatlikeitshard2020

New

How does transferring from community college to top 10 public university affect chances?

Post by whatlikeitshard2020 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I was curious as if anyone has ever felt that they didn't get into one of the T14 because they first got an AA at a community college then transferred to a university? I received around 52 college credits from taking classes at a local community college while still in high school so due to financial reasons I thought it would make more sense to just spend 2 semesters at a community college after graduating high school while working full time to finish up my AA and then transfer to a university thats in the top 10 public universities. I have a high GPA and have gotten good grades from both schools, I was just curious if anybody here had any success stories or felt that their curriculum was looked down upon for going that route. Thanks!

QContinuum

Re: How does transferring from community college to top 10 public university affect chances?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:48 pm

I didn't personally attend a community college, but it's not uncommon and I've never seen any sign of such students being at a disadvantage in law school admissions, including the T13. Keep in mind that the relevant GPA for law school admissions purposes is your LSAC GPA, which includes (and equally weights) both your college grades and your community college grades.

Npret

Gold

Re: How does transferring from community college to top 10 public university affect chances?

Post by Npret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:03 pm

whatlikeitshard2020 wrote:I was curious as if anyone has ever felt that they didn't get into one of the T14 because they first got an AA at a community college then transferred to a university? I received around 52 college credits from taking classes at a local community college while still in high school so due to financial reasons I thought it would make more sense to just spend 2 semesters at a community college after graduating high school while working full time to finish up my AA and then transfer to a university thats in the top 10 public universities. I have a high GPA and have gotten good grades from both schools, I was just curious if anybody here had any success stories or felt that their curriculum was looked down upon for going that route. Thanks!
Your LSAC GPA is what matters. Many people go to community college to save money and it doesn’t affect their chances. Just be proud of yourself for being smart enough to save money on school tuition. It won’t matter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”