Put volunteer works on Resume: not through established organizations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cool2days

New

Put volunteer works on Resume: not through established organizations

Post by cool2days » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 am

Hello, I am now polishing my resume.
The last concern that I have is how to write volunteer works not through established organizations.
For example, I did some works to help others(all different people) individually and personally over the last five years.
I cannot say workloads were consistent (once a month to two months), but the character of the work was consistent: helping specific category of people about specific fields of problems.
What I am worrying is that when I wrote this on my resume, there is no officials or employers that can authenticate my works.
I know there are people who can substantiate my works, but I am worried about that because they are mere individuals, no credentials available.
Is it better to leave out this information on resume?
(I wrote about it on personal statement, though)

cavalier1138

Re: Put volunteer works on Resume: not through established organizations

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:39 pm

I wouldn't list it. Unless the specific nature of the "problems" you solved made it more like a freelance business, it just sounds sketchy. You're better off letting your PS tell that story than making adcomms wonder why you listed it on the resume.

QContinuum

Re: Put volunteer works on Resume: not through established organizations

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:49 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I wouldn't list it. Unless the specific nature of the "problems" you solved made it more like a freelance business, it just sounds sketchy. You're better off letting your PS tell that story than making adcomms wonder why you listed it on the resume.
I agree. Law school admissions is numbers-based. Absent some really compelling softs, which 99% of applicants don't have, the most important thing is to maximize one's numbers (usually this means maximizing LSAT, as GPA is usually pretty much locked in) and avoid shooting oneself in the foot in the other parts of the application. This isn't college admissions, or med school admissions. It's okay not to have a long record of volunteer work or extracurriculars or whatnot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”