Addendum Review Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
VJR16

New

Addendum Review

Post by VJR16 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Hello all!

I am in the common position of debating the merits of attaching an addendum to my applications.
It is to explain a low GPA (3.4; but applying for schools with higher medians; my LSAT is in the 99% percentile). I've had a very strong upwards trend (4.0 last year)
I currently have a draft explaining 1) medical issues regarding medication adjustments in my first year, and 2) discussion of switching my courses from natural sciences to more social sciences.

If anyone is willing to message to me offering to glance it over, that would be very appreciated!

VJR
Last edited by VJR16 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Addendum Review

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Without glancing at the actual text, I can tell you drop this part:
VJR16 wrote:2) discussion of switching my courses from hard sciences to more social sciences.
Your courseload was entirely within your control. Medical issues are worth an addendum, but "classes were hard" isn't going to help.

VJR16

New

Post by VJR16 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Without glancing at the actual text, I can tell you drop this part:
VJR16 wrote:2) discussion of switching my courses from hard sciences to more social sciences.
Your courseload was entirely within your control. Medical issues are worth an addendum, but "classes were hard" isn't going to help.

Sorry, to clarify "hard sciences" was referring to natural sciences, such as math, physics and chemistry; not "difficult sciences".
I didn't mean to insinuate my classes were hard and then became easy; just that the transition to courses I was more suited to/interested in correlated with a huge jump in my GPA.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

VJR16 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Without glancing at the actual text, I can tell you drop this part:

Sorry, to clarify "hard sciences" was referring to natural sciences, such as math, physics and chemistry; not "difficult sciences".
I didn't mean to insinuate my classes were hard and then became easy; just that the transition to courses I was more suited to/interested in correlated with a huge jump in my GPA.
Tomato-tomato. Ok, that works better when I say it out loud.

The point is that you had control over your courses. You chose to take courses that you were "less suited to," and that's not something that warrants an addendum. The addendum is for relating information that the adcomms can't figure out from just looking at your transcript.

VJR16

New

Post by VJR16 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
VJR16 wrote:

Tomato-tomato. Ok, that works better when I say it out loud.

The point is that you had control over your courses. You chose to take courses that you were "less suited to," and that's not something that warrants an addendum. The addendum is for relating information that the adcomms can't figure out from just looking at your transcript.

Thank you!! Appreciate the advice. If the second point is not suitable for an addendum, do you have any advice as to where I could communicate the point? I wanted to highlight my upwards trend, 4.0 final year GPA, and shift in interests that correlated with the high gpa. Or do you think looking at my transcript will be evidence enough? I have not taken that angle for my PS.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Looking at your transcript will make that clear. (It’s also only of limited value because applying to law school doesn’t actually mean law school classes will all be stuff you’re interested in/are more suited to, so it’s probably better not to suggest that you only do well when interested).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”