Why I love my law school, Cooley

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Why I love my law school, Cooley

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:30 pm

You should look at Michigan schools, not that far away. Mine has been just fine.

Wubbles

New

Re: Set on Chicago, but What School?

Postby Wubbles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:You should look at Michigan schools, not that far away. Mine has been just fine.

go away. Mods, isn't recommending Cooley a banable offense or something?

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Wubbles wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:You should look at Michigan schools, not that far away. Mine has been just fine.

Idk y this triggers u. At the end of the day we both get JDs

Wubbles

New

Postby Wubbles » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:

But do we both get jobs that were worth the cost?

Also I'm not triggered. This website is about giving good advice, and the advice you want to give is demonstrably wrong.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Wubbles wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:

Also I'm not triggered. This website is about giving good advice, and the advice you want to give is demonstrably wrong.

How is it demonstrably wrong? Plenty of alums go in to do big things in law and politics. Like any school it's what you make of it.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:

How is it demonstrably wrong? Plenty of alums go in to do big things in law and politics. Like any school it's what you make of it.

Stop. Cooley isn't a law school. It's a scam.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:

Stop. Cooley isn't a law school. It's a scam.

I'm tired of the ad hominem attacks. All I did was made a suggestion and get gang piled.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:24 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:I'm tired of the ad hominem attacks. All I did was made a suggestion and get gang piled.

An ad hominem attack would be an insult directed at you. I insulted the sham of an institution that you attend. That's a different thing.

You might be a wonderful person. Cooley, however, is a predatory institution that takes advantage of its students by screwing them out of as much cash as possible before handing them a worthless degree that will only see 30% of them working as lawyers within a year of graduation.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:I'm tired of the ad hominem attacks. All I did was made a suggestion and get gang piled.

An ad hominem attack would be an insult directed at you. I insulted the sham of an institution that you attend. That's a different thing.

You might be a wonderful person. Cooley, however, is a predatory institution that takes advantage of its students by screwing them out of as much cash as possible before handing them a worthless degree that will only see 30% of them working as lawyers within a year of graduation.

Who even knows how that website came up w that number. I've heard it is higher. And if you told anyone considering the school not to go then they'd have no chance of ever becoming a lawyer no matter how high or low those numbers r

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Who even knows how that website came up w that number. I've heard it is higher. And if you told anyone considering the school not to go then they'd have no chance of ever becoming a lawyer no matter how high or low those numbers r

I know how the website came up with that number. It used the school's own official ABA reports that they are legally required to make available. So no, it's not higher.

Look, you enjoy living inside a gambler's fallacy. But don't try and drag other people down with you. As I recall, you had plenty of people trying to explain basic principles of legal employment to you before you jumped off this cliff.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Re: Why I love my law school, Cooley

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I know how the website came up with that number. It used the school's own official ABA reports that they are legally required to make available. So no, it's not higher.

Look, you enjoy living inside a gambler's fallacy. But don't try and drag other people down with you. As I recall, you had plenty of people trying to explain basic principles of legal employment to you before you jumped off this cliff.

Ok, but you didn't even include Jd advantage so it's not just 30 percent. If I listened to those people I wouldn't b where I'm now. My decision wasn't a gamblers fallacy (whatever that is), I went into it knowing I'd work hard and network.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:50 pm

THE REPORTS DON'T INCLUDE JD ADVANTAGE JOBS BECAUSE YOU COULD ALSO GET THOSE WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 pm

SFSpartan wrote:THE REPORTS DON'T INCLUDE JD ADVANTAGE JOBS BECAUSE YOU COULD ALSO GET THOSE WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL.

Not everyone. No one has disproved law school it's what you make of it. THE silence is defening

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:Not everyone. No one has disproved law school it's what you make of it. THE silence is defening

QFP.

Also, good move quarantining this in its own thread, whoever did that.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:Not everyone. No one has disproved law school it's what you make of it. THE silence is defening

QFP.

Idk why this thread had to be so negative. Everyone should look in the miror and ask y the mention of Cooley upsets you so much. Insecurity much?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Feel free to talk about Cooley here as much as you'd like. Maybe reconsider suggesting Cooley when someone is considering Michigan vs. Northwestern.

And maybe stop obfuscating all the bad things about your choices and just try to speak to them honestly both within and beyond your experience. That means potentially speaking to how you think you've been successful out of Cooley while acknowledging all of the bad outcomes that can/may/will occur out of Cooley, relying on anecdotes of your classmates who can't find jobs.

Not everyone gets an ideal outcome from most schools, so I'm not asking you to unnecessarily crap on your school, but you should be willing to speak honestly about your classmates and how they've done in the legal market. Statistically, Cooley grads will struggle. Some don't, and you can certainly speak to that. But you should still speak to who/what/why others struggle, and you should be critical about that. Otherwise you're just trying to represent a school that puts 30% of graduates into JD-required jobs (setting aside JD-advantage like HR and compliance) as something more than what it is. If you can't attempt to represent your school as accurately as the statistics portray, you're mostly hiding your head in the sand.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:QFP.

Thanks - I saw the Cooley posts were increasingly derailing the Set on Chicago thread, so thought splitting was the right solution. Cooley isn't even a Chicago school!

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:13 pm

UVA2B wrote:Feel free to talk about Cooley here as much as you'd like. Maybe reconsider suggesting Cooley when someone is considering Michigan vs. Northwestern.

And maybe stop obfuscating all the bad things about your choices and just try to speak to them honestly both within and beyond your experience. That means potentially speaking to how you think you've been successful out of Cooley while acknowledging all of the bad outcomes that can/may/will occur out of Cooley, relying on anecdotes of your classmates who can't find jobs.

Not everyone gets an ideal outcome from most schools, so I'm not asking you to unnecessarily crap on your school, but you should be willing to speak honestly about your classmates and how they've done in the legal market. Statistically, Cooley grads will struggle. Some don't, and you can certainly speak to that. But you should still speak to who/what/why others struggle, and you should be critical about that. Otherwise you're just trying to represent a school that puts 30% of graduates into JD-required jobs (setting aside JD-advantage like HR and compliance) as something more than what it is. If you can't attempt to represent your school as accurately as the statistics portray, you're mostly hiding your head in the sand.

I didn't name the thread "why I love my law school", my posts got moved. The poster said he couldn't get into top schools so I said Michigan as in state bc he's midwestern. No one asked me my experience or stuff. Instead everyone went crazy bashing the school that I didn't even name. Posters acted like going is a death sentence so all I said is that there are some solid outcomes. I'm not trying to fool anyone.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Feel free to talk about Cooley here as much as you'd like. Maybe reconsider suggesting Cooley when someone is considering Michigan vs. Northwestern.

I didn't name the thread "why I love my law school", my posts got moved. The poster said he couldn't get into top schools so I said Michigan as in state bc he's midwestern. No one asked me my experience or stuff. Instead everyone went crazy bashing the school that I didn't even name. Posters acted like going is a death sentence so all I said is that there are some solid outcomes. I'm not trying to fool anyone.

Yes, your unwarranted solicitation was divided into a new thread, so I asked you to represent the school honestly, the good and the bad. If you honestly think Cooley is a good choice, you should be willing and able to represent both the good and the bad of the school. If you can’t do that, you just reinforce that the statistics show how suboptimal your school is for legal profession outcomes. If you can’t do that, then I guess you can just flap in the wind like a flaccid wind sock hoping to confirm going to Cooley isn’t a mistake.

But being bothered by others pointing out that you’re flippantly suggesting Cooley when the statistics for Cooley are pretty laughable is particularly bad, because you haven’t even begun to explain outcomes from your school outside of the stats. If you can’t do that, then you’re a victim of the stats, which are likely much more accurate than your representation.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

Yes, your unwarranted solicitation was divided into a new thread, so I asked you to represent the school honestly, the good and the bad. If you honestly think Cooley is a good choice, you should be willing and able to represent both the good and the bad of the school. If you can’t do that, you just reinforce that the statistics show how suboptimal your school is for legal profession outcomes. If you can’t do that, then I guess you can just flap in the wind like a flaccid wind sock hoping to confirm going to Cooley isn’t a mistake.

But being bothered by others pointing out that you’re flippantly suggesting Cooley when the statistics for Cooley are pretty laughable is particularly bad, because you haven’t even begun to explain outcomes from your school outside of the stats. If you can’t do that, then you’re a victim of the stats, which are likely much more accurate than your representation.

Sure.

Good: ABA accredited. Some like me get merit aid. Some get employed

Bad: some don't get aid. Some don't get employed.

Like any other law school. Not sure why you find it "laughable"

nixy

Silver

Postby nixy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Because the number of people who do/don’t get jobs varies RADICALLY from Cooley to lots of schools. It’s like saying someone who goes to a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon and someone who gets silicone injected in their ass in a skanky hotel room have the same outcome. Come on.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

Sure.

Because it’s worse than basically everywhere else. But fine, you don’t actually want to defend your school. You don’t have to.

Johnnybgoode92

Bronze

Postby Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:40 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Johnnybgoode92 wrote:

Sure.

Because it’s worse than basically everywhere else. But fine, you don’t actually want to defend your school. You don’t have to.

It all depends on your goals. I don't have any goal of clerking or big law. I did defend it by saying it's what you make of it. If you go to Harvard and party in those "skanky hotel rooms" every night you'll probably have a tough outcome. It's all on you.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:43 pm

I mean, Trump's lawyer of many years, Michael Cohen, went to Cooley. So it's certainly possible to soar to great heights from the school!

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Come back when you have an actual responsive post. Otherwise enjoy toiling in a thread where no one can/will/should take you seriously.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?