Can anyone explain the scholarship info on LSN? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jpal1234

New

Can anyone explain the scholarship info on LSN?

Post by jpal1234 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:37 pm

So how true is the self-submitted scholarship info on LSN? Reason I ask is that it seems insanely off the mark statistically... For example, I have seen people with LSAT scores in the low 150s and GPA in the 3.5-3.6 range getting full scholarships to Duke and Berkeley and then getting rejected from UC Irvine and Emory. How is this possible? I am confused because I applied ED in hopes of getting the guaranteed scholarship. As someone who is below the median LSAT and GPA numbers for this school I did it because I felt that I had little chance for a scholarship if I applied RD. Now I feel like I shortchanged myself! I understand that YLS issue scholarships primarily based on need so I could understand a full scholarship with low numbers in those schools... but I heard that other schools in the T14 issue primarily merit based scholarships... so how are all these well below median applicants getting full ride scholarships?

cavalier1138

Re: Can anyone explain the scholarship info on LSN?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 pm

jpal1234 wrote:I have seen people with LSAT scores in the low 150s and GPA in the 3.5-3.6 range getting full scholarships to Duke and Berkeley and then getting rejected from UC Irvine and Emory.
Can you show an example of this? Low 150s LSATS (even for URMs) aren't getting into Duke, let alone getting a Mordecai. And if they are, they 100% aren't getting rejected from Emory.

In general, LSN is less helpful for evaluating scholarship chances, because scholarships are just less predictable than admissions. Additionally, because LSN is already a relatively small sample of the whole applicant pool, you'll get weird outlier numbers messing with scholarship totals. If you look at schools' 509s, they actually give 25/50/75th numbers for scholarship grants. That information is probably going to be more helpful at letting you know how much money they're generally willing to offer (although, again, it's an imperfect sample).

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 pm

jpal1234 wrote:So how true is the self-submitted scholarship info on LSN? Reason I ask is that it seems insanely off the mark statistically... For example, I have seen people with LSAT scores in the low 150s and GPA in the 3.5-3.6 range getting full scholarships to Duke and Berkeley and then getting rejected from UC Irvine and Emory. How is this possible? I am confused because I applied ED in hopes of getting the guaranteed scholarship. As someone who is below the median LSAT and GPA numbers for this school I did it because I felt that I had little chance for a scholarship if I applied RD. Now I feel like I shortchanged myself! I understand that YLS issue scholarships primarily based on need so I could understand a full scholarship with low numbers in those schools... but I heard that other schools in the T14 issue primarily merit based scholarships... so how are all these well below median applicants getting full ride scholarships?
I don’t think many schools even give full ride scholarships so I can’t answer. What you report sounds inaccurate and I think people may not be accurately reporting for whatever reason. I doubt anyone with a low 150 even gets into Duke, for example.
That doesn’t mean applying early decision in hopes of a full scholarship is a poor decision, unless you no longer want to attend that school.
The worst case would be that you don’t attend and then reapply next year with more accurate information.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:33 am

1) sometimes people make stuff up
2) URMs may get admitted/scholarships with lower stats than non-URMs (your examples sound too low for this, but it may explain some of the cases you’re seeing).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”