Explaining Job Termination Without Just Cause Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BearJefferson

New

Explaining Job Termination Without Just Cause

Post by BearJefferson » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Looking for some advice on how to phrase my job termination in my applications.

Long story short, my employer said I violated a policy within the company, and had a few other minor complaints about me from a single staff person. This person had applied for my job as well and I beat her out for it. She has always had a bit of a grudge against me, and one day filed about 10 complaints against me at once. I was terminated immediately. I had never been written up before, and upon review of the policy I did not actually violate it. I was refused a copy of the reasons for my termination unless I signed a copy of them agreeing to them all. I applied for unemployment and submitted my side of the story and my employer submitted theirs. The dept of labor ruled in my favor, and their letter specifically says "terminated without just cause." My employer did not appeal the dept of labor decision or request a hearing for review of the claims.

I personally believe that the reason I was fired was blowing the whistle(not for a legal violation, just a company one) on my supervisor. I didn't bring it to HR, just our branch leader who was retiring soon and loved my supervisor. I believe she was worried my complaints would be escalated and she would lose her job. When I was fired I didn't have a chance to defend or give my side of the story. The main reason I didn't sue for wrongful termination was because I live in an employment at will state, and it wasn't any type of age, race, gender, etc discrimination.

Pretty much I plan on putting "Termination without cause" in 50 character box in the employment section of the applications. I'm wondering how or if I need to go into more detail with an addendum.

A few things to know:
- I wasn't accused of breaking any laws or fraud or anything like that.
- This was a big boy job, I had held the position for 3 years and is my most recent full time job.(working part time while I've studied for the LSAT and prepared apps)
- A former boss of mine for the company who still is employed there will be writing me a LOR, but was not involved in my firing, so can't speak to that.

cavalier1138

Re: Explaining Job Termination Without Just Cause

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 pm

I probably wouldn't bother with an addendum, since the notation of "termination without cause" is far less confusing than your actual story.

If you really want to write one, keep it much shorter than your post, and focus on the bare facts. For example, "I was told that I would not receive reasons for my termination unless I signed a release admitting those violations. On application for unemployment, the facts were submitted to [Government Department], and it ruled in my favor, finding that I was terminated without cause." And then add something about your spotless employment record at other jobs if you want to highlight that this hasn't happened before or again. But again, I wouldn't bother with an addendum.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I probably wouldn't bother with an addendum, since the notation of "termination without cause" is far less confusing than your actual story.

If you really want to write one, keep it much shorter than your post, and focus on the bare facts. For example, "I was told that I would not receive reasons for my termination unless I signed a release admitting those violations. On application for unemployment, the facts were submitted to [Government Department], and it ruled in my favor, finding that I was terminated without cause." And then add something about your spotless employment record at other jobs if you want to highlight that this hasn't happened before or again. But again, I wouldn't bother with an addendum.
I agree not writing an addendum for a school app, but I'd save the above very brief synopsis in your files for your bar application, as the bar will likely request some information from all former employers.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:54 pm

criminaltheory wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I probably wouldn't bother with an addendum, since the notation of "termination without cause" is far less confusing than your actual story.

I agree not writing an addendum for a school app, but I'd save the above very brief synopsis in your files for your bar application, as the bar will likely request some information from all former employers.
Agree 100% with all of the above, and wanted to add that even for the bar, I'd leave out all mention of the whistleblowing thing. You have no evidence that you were fired in retaliation for whistleblowing (it's entirely possible, even probable, that you were fired solely due to the unfounded complaints filed by the staff member who coveted your job) and you have no knowledge how your complaint was actually handled by the company (even though the former branch leader loved your supervisor, it's still possible, even if unlikely, that she didn't cover for him and your supervisor was thoroughly investigated and maybe even disciplined). Adding all that speculation just needlessly complicates the story.

Just stick to the proven facts as suggested by cavalier1138; these facts, especially the DoL determination which the company accepted, are very favorable to you and should eliminate any C&F concerns regarding your termination.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”