Can I study a JD after an LLB in Australia Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
opivtes

New

Can I study a JD after an LLB in Australia

Post by opivtes » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 am

If I've completed an LLB in Australia (undergrad common law degree), am I still able to study a JD at a law school in the US?

I do not want to work as a lawyer in Australia however am nearly done my law degree here so my plan is essentially to complete the law degree here and then directly after, complete JD in the US.

Will having an LLB worsen my ability to get into JD (i.e. will they say what I instead should take is an LLM)?

This may be a stupid question but I thought I'd ask it so I could get some clarity. Because if that's the case, I can just drop my LLB and graduate with an undergrad commerce degree even earlier

QContinuum

Re: Can I study a JD after an LLB in Australia

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:27 am

You'll almost certainly still be eligible to pursue a U.S. J.D. with a foreign LL.B. I personally know of a few foreign LL.B. grads - although not Australians specifically - who have enrolled in U.S. J.D. programs instead of U.S. LL.M. programs despite being eligible to apply to/enroll in a LL.M. Earning a U.S. J.D. enhances job prospects (relative to LL.M. candidates at the same U.S. law school) and maximizes geographic flexibility within the U.S. (I believe - though you should double-check - many/most U.S. states require a U.S. J.D. for admission to the bar*).

(*New York is a notable exception, and NYC happens to be the single largest legal market in the U.S., which is why many foreign lawyers consider a U.S. LL.M. sufficient for their needs.)

That said, you should be aware of the extremely high tuition charged by U.S. J.D. programs (LL.M. programs too, but at least those programs are only 1 year long, not 3). And if you're not a U.S. citizen, you probably won't be eligible for U.S. government student loans, which is how the vast majority of Americans pay for law school.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:19 pm

opivtes wrote:If I've completed an LLB in Australia (undergrad common law degree), am I still able to study a JD at a law school in the US?

I do not want to work as a lawyer in Australia however am nearly done my law degree here so my plan is essentially to complete the law degree here and then directly after, complete JD in the US.

Will having an LLB worsen my ability to get into JD (i.e. will they say what I instead should take is an LLM)?

This may be a stupid question but I thought I'd ask it so I could get some clarity. Because if that's the case, I can just drop my LLB and graduate with an undergrad commerce degree even earlier
Yes, you are eligible. Foreign lawyers do the JD every year.
Having an LLB will neither worsen nor enhance your admission prospects. Your LSAT score will control your admission because you wouldn't have a numerical GPA. 170 or more will give you a great shot at a t13 admission with scholarship. International JDs place well in biglaw as well. Good luck!
PM me if you have more questions.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:05 pm

freekick wrote: Yes, you are eligible. Foreign lawyers do the JD every year.
Having an LLB will neither worsen nor enhance your admission prospects. Your LSAT score will control your admission because you wouldn't have a numerical GPA. 170 or more will give you a great shot at a t13 admission with scholarship.
This assumes OP does not have a US undergraduate degree.
freekick wrote: International JDs place well in biglaw as well. Good luck!
PM me if you have more questions.
This assumes OP has work authorization. There's been many posts from people without work authorization discussing challenges in hiring, and also posts from folk who improved their responses when they added that they were an LPR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”