Yale College Activities and Post-college Activities Application Sections Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
180degrees

New

Yale College Activities and Post-college Activities Application Sections

Post by 180degrees » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Yale has two unique sections on their application, titled 'College Activities' and 'Post-college Activities,' respectively. I'm not sure whether these should be answered in the form or a list or through a narrative/essay format, as the guidelines are fairly ambiguous.

Here are the prompts:

College Activities:

Please answer a, b, and c separately from any included résumé. Your application will not be considered complete unless a, b, and c are answered. Please list:

(a) Significant extracurricular activities and unpaid externships or internships in college, in order of their relative importance to you. Please estimate your time commitment for each activity.

(b) Paid employment while in college and during vacations.

(c) Other activities during college (in or out of school) that you consider relevant.

Post-college Activities:

If it has been more than three months since you attended college, describe what you have been doing in the interval. You should include graduate or professional education, paid or unpaid employment, as well as any other activities that you consider relevant. Please answer this question separately from any information provided in a résumé.

How are people handling these? If there are any members of the forum who have applied and been accepted to Yale—and who are still active on here—I'd love to hear what you did. I'm also curious how others who are in the midst of preparing their apps are going about answering these sections.

QContinuum

Re: Yale College Activities and Post-college Activities Application Sections

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Here's the format I used.

1. [Title], [Organization] ([Year] - [Year])
Brief 1-2 sentence description. Worked/volunteered X hours per week for [a semester/summer/year(s)].
2. Etc.

For part C, other relevant activities, I wrote a short paragraph-long blurb generally describing the relevant activities (this would be for items you consider helpful, yet which didn't quite fit into either A or B).

Disclaimer: I am not a current cycle applicant, and it is likely that other successful applicants used different formats.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”