Switch to ED? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whydoieven

New

Switch to ED?

Post by whydoieven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi, I have applied to most of the T14 and a couple of other schools outside it so far. I have a CAS GPA of 3.5 and an LSAT of 178. I have a couple years of corporate work experience but not much to speak of in terms of "softs" outside of that.

So far I have been WL'd by Duke, and I have noticed a missing word, albeit a pretty minor one, in an addendum I attached to most of my apps (kill me...). I am starting to seriously consider switching to ED at my target, Chicago, though I'm not sure if you really get the ED "bump" if you switch to ED after the fact...?

I have read conflicting reports about whether or not ED makes sense for splitters, anyone have experience with this?

QContinuum

Re: Switch to ED?

Post by QContinuum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:37 pm

I'd wait it out in your position - with a 3.5/178, you should be in a good position for acceptances to multiple T13s and possibly $ at some of the lower ones. Which ones did you not apply to? I'd make sure to hit all of 'em, particularly toward the "bottom".

NW has an ED scholly deal that might make sense - but I don't think ED confers much of an advantage at any of the other T13s.

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Haven't applied at Berkeley, Columbia, and Georgetown yet.

Trying to think about how to approach the Columbia PS, kind of has me stumped.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:28 pm

whydoieven wrote:Haven't applied at Berkeley, Columbia, and Georgetown yet.

Trying to think about how to approach the Columbia PS, kind of has me stumped.
I'd definitely apply to all of Berkeley, Columbia, and Georgetown. Given splitter unpredictability, now's not the time to economize on application fees.

Which T20s have you applied to? I don't necessarily think you have to apply to all of 15-20, but - depending on which region you want to practice in - I'd pick and choose a couple. E.g., if you're super into CA, probably apply to UCLA and USC; if you're interested in TX, definitely hit UT; Chicago, WUSTL. Vandy's strong enough that you should probably apply to it in any case. Minnesota's weaker, placement-wise, so probably less critical to apply to.

I don't think the Columbia PS has to be unique; when I applied (admittedly some time ago), I used the same "why law" PS I used everywhere else, and it seemed to do the trick. The only bespoke essay I wrote was the Yale 250.

whydoieven

New

Post by whydoieven » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Applied at Vandy and Texas. I will apply to the rest of the T14 over the next week.

I really think I’m just overreacting to everything- just very nervous.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Sounds like a plan; best wishes!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”