Taking any/all advice, suggestions and direction Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Re: Taking any/all advice, suggestions and direction

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 am

Couldn't sleep at all so stayed up all the way until my score was released. 163 which is pretty rough. My average of my last 5 PT's I think was 166 so I will definitely be retaking. Also disappointing, i can no longer sit for the July lsat. I will not be getting back until July 19th which is brutal. Today I am pretty disappointed. I am definitely not giving up though. I'm not sure I'll be able to study today but I am getting back on the grind.

preamble

Bronze

Post by preamble » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:21 am

A 163 is a perfectly respectable score - and for many folks, quite an enviable one. It might not seem like it on these forums just because the sorts of people who are drawn to discuss law school admissions are not representative of the entire LSAT taking population, but you should be proud. A 163 is close to 90th percentile.

Don't give up! The only thing standing between you and HLS at this point is, what? 7 or 8 more multiple choice questions? YOU GOT THIS.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:51 pm

preamble wrote:A 163 is a perfectly respectable score - and for many folks, quite an enviable one. It might not seem like it on these forums just because the sorts of people who are drawn to discuss law school admissions are not representative of the entire LSAT taking population, but you should be proud. A 163 is close to 90th percentile.

Don't give up! The only thing standing between you and HLS at this point is, what? 7 or 8 more multiple choice questions? YOU GOT THIS.
Ugh thank you!! Reading this really gets me excited and motivated. You're totally right; I'm not worried at all about the 163. I'm glad I've already taken it now and am on the board. I think Mike Kim says it best, "The best way to achieve success is to deserve it"... or something along those lines. Thank you for stoking the flames!

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 pm

168! Still got it!

Won't be posting the breakdowns any more unless i guess someone actually wants me to. I mentioned earlier it kind of affects my blind review.

Also I wanted to clarify. I'd have to look at the timeline but I went like two months without drinking or really staying out late, then i decided id stop caring as much and i experienced a score bump. I think doing that for me just made me too high strung and stressed. Seeing my friends again and letting myself have a good time helped and didnt make me feel like i would not be able to perform if I had any alcohol. That stuff affects you but as long as your are planning accordingly and staying on top of it I think it's fine.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:56 pm

169!!! Was a little surprised too. I felt really good the whole test until the last section of LR. I thought the first 15 questions were surprisingly difficult... This was sept 2009. I am so so excited though. In the words of Toby Flenderson, ¨I think I am going to chase this feeling¨.

I am so happy that I don´t have to wait very long again before taking my next test. I want to be still be excited for June. That kind of happened to me last time, I felt like I spent like 9 months being so amped up and ready for the test because I had read so many people advise that anybody can improve through hard work, but the rate of return was just so slow for me. I also had an amazing coworker who was honestly the best, and he just one day decided on law school and took a PT and got 155. I immediately advised him to shoot for 170s and tried to convey to him that he should study because he would do amazing. He had a ton going on so he couldn´t put nearly as much time as I was hoping he would (It may have not been possible I really believed he could get a 180 he´s incredibly smart) but he still just walked into test day and got a 169. I was super happy for him but at the same time I could not help but be a little envious. I need to remember that i have never been that type and that even when my PT scores dip, or my official exams are not as high as I would like, that it doesn´t matter because I will just continue to grind and grind and that is my advantage. Every low is simply a data point in the overall experiment just as every high is.

Sorry for being rambly. 169 feels like a milestone because Im only one off 170 and also because when my coworker scored 169 after only around 2 months of light studying I was still in the mid to low 150s after 6 or 7 (could be wrong) months of studying. It was during this time I started to gradually lose hope and I think that seriously hindered my performance as well. Still... its only one PT!! gotta improve!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:48 pm

I know i said I wouldnt include breakdowns any more but this seemed really strange. The last one for my 169 test was

LG: -0

RC: -2

LR: -10

How weird is that. I definitely should've scored 170 honestly. One of the ones I missed on RC was a dumb mistake and I got -6 on the fifth section (2nd LR section) and like three of them i immediately questioned what was going through my head during blind review. I really should've scored 170 had I maintained focus but it really motivates me for tomorrows test!

wonderland5608

New

Post by wonderland5608 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi OP - just had to register and say this is one of the most inspiring posts on this forum. You definitely got 170 in your pocket! I took it twice and jumped from 164 to 173, so your first try was definitely not a bad score! Best of luck!

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:57 pm

wonderland5608 wrote:Hi OP - just had to register and say this is one of the most inspiring posts on this forum. You definitely got 170 in your pocket! I took it twice and jumped from 164 to 173, so your first try was definitely not a bad score! Best of luck!
Thanks so much for the kind words! Wow that is an amazing jump, exactly what I am hoping to do. 173 is probably above what I am even aiming for honestly. Thank you for sharing, I'm glad someone else has found success in a similar situation.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Retook yesterday and got 167. It's been a long time since I've scored under 167 if you exclude the actual test date in March which makes me happy. Yesterday I took Sept 2017 as well so it felt good to maintain my score on a relatively new test. In the past I've complained and moaned about sections feeling slightly different but this one didn't at all. RC was definitely hard but not really different. I think being able to take the tests later in the day helps as well. Since my last test was at 8:30 I'd get up every day around 6, or 5:30 on actual test days, to mimic the time it would take for me to have a hearty breakfast, review, and drive to the test center. It's taken a little while to adjust but the later time (12:30) is really nice honestly. I'm not really a morning person but I do remember my PT scores dropping once I started taking them at 8:30am the first time around. Might have already mentioned this but felt I should add it anyways.

The grind continues!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Yesterday I took Sept 2018 and got 170. I couldn't help but look at the score breakdown.

LR: -5

RC: -6

I had heard from some people that the newer LR is harder, or at least different. I definitely felt that way on this test. I also thought RC was easier, but I surprisingly had my best ever in LR and a slightly less than average performance on RC. I normally go -8 to -10 on LR so this was a pretty big surprise. I'm really really happy I finally hit 170 but I have to remember it still is just a practice test. To law schools I am still simply a 163. Gotta keep going!

LawAndBehold

New

Post by LawAndBehold » Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Shredzeppelin240 wrote:Yesterday I took Sept 2018 and got 170. I couldn't help but look at the score breakdown.

I had heard from some people that the newer LR is harder, or at least different. I definitely felt that way on this test. I also thought RC was easier, but I surprisingly had my best ever in LR and a slightly less than average performance on RC. I normally go -8 to -10 on LR so this was a pretty big surprise. I'm really really happy I finally hit 170 but I have to remember it still is just a practice test. To law schools I am still simply a 163. Gotta keep going!
Fantastic! Good confidence booster. Keep going. You got this, OP !

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:52 pm

LawAndBehold wrote:
Shredzeppelin240 wrote:Yesterday I took Sept 2018 and got 170. I couldn't help but look at the score breakdown.

Fantastic! Good confidence booster. Keep going. You got this, OP !
You're a trooper! Thanks for sticking around throughout and reading everything! Your kind words are very much appreciated.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 pm

I dont think I am gonna take another PT today. My original plan was to take one today and another next Tuesday but I don't think I am going to do that anymore. If I had taken one today as well as another next Tuesday I wouldn't have that much time to review my last PT too much before the actual test. I'm feeling a little burnt out and I'd rather just take the newest available PT this Friday and then take my time reviewing and give myself a day or too off (or very light) right before the test. Part of me is disappointed since I was excited to see how I did following my first 170, but I made the mistake of changing up my routine. For the first time ever I worked out this morning before my test so when I sat down to take it at 12:30 (the actual time of the test) I just felt exhausted. There also happened to be a dog that would not stop barking above my apartment and I just kinda realized I did not want to take the test at all. I figure this way I'll be excited come Friday and I can take the time to maybe do some golfing or hanging out with friends leading up to the test while also getting in a few hours here and there to review the test in its entirety. Hopefully I'm not making a big mistake, but I honestly don't think I am.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I kinda realized i forgot to add something that I always do while studying/working out/taking tests. It was what made me decide not to take a test today, it is a quote I think I read about the Rock. I don't remember the words exactly, but he said something like, every day he goes to the gym regardless of how he feels or where his motivation is at. Even if the gym is the last thing he feels like doing, he gets dressed, drives to the gym, and places his hand on the handle on the door. If he still does not want to workout then he simply goes home. I try to do the same thing with studying although there are times when I definitely just give in without a fight. But for today for instance, I set my laptop up with the online powerscore proctor, sharpened my pencils, had my test all printed out and was sitting at my desk but I still just did not feel like taking the test at all. I think it's pretty clear that if you prepare yourself fully you are far more likely to go ahead and do it rather than just waste the time you spent getting ready. Anyways, just another thought I'd share that I realized I hadn't included yet.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:12 pm

Forewarning: I mentioned a couple of times earlier that I am a grinder, I am not very smart.

Welp I just did Nov 2018... for the second time. I had planned to take it a while ago as it is the newest one. I double checked all my previous tests on powerscore just to make sure and took it. Immediately within 5 questions in I knew it was too familiar. I hoped that maybe I recognized it from a section I had drilled and that the rest would be fresh. Nope. Nov 2018 was the last test I took before March and I just didn't notice it while I was double checking. I got 175 but it goes without saying why.

It's kind of funny. I was thinking about redoing nov 2018 anyways just cause it's so new. My only predicament now is if I want to actually review it and take another PT, or just not even bother reviewing and take another PT and make sure I have enough time between now and test day to review the fresh one. I guess it is a nice confidence boost, the first time around i got 168 and this time I got 175 lol.

LR:-8 (are you kidding me? still this bad?)

RC: -4

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Like I said, a grinder. Realized moments after posting that was the score breakdown for the first time I took NOV 2018 when I got 168. This time it was actually:

LG: 0

LR: -4

RC:-1

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Just found out it was Terry Crews who said that, not the Rock!! Dang I wish I could edit!

Less than a week away! Just finishing up the last 100 pages I have left of the Lsat trainer and taking timed sections of June 2018. Good luck to everyone else taking in June!

Also working on my personal statement with a spivey consultant. The package has been great so far. My 2 cents.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Just drilled the first LR section of June 2018 and got -2, which I am very happy with. That is way better than my average. I am feeling reeeeeal good about Monday. Relaxed, confident, not too stressed. Definitely glad I ended on the 175.

mysonx3

New

Post by mysonx3 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Shredzeppelin240 wrote:Just drilled the first LR section of June 2018 and got -2, which I am very happy with. That is way better than my average. I am feeling reeeeeal good about Monday. Relaxed, confident, not too stressed. Definitely glad I ended on the 175.
Good luck! I will be taking the LSAT next year (probably first take in February or March - focusing on finishing up undergrad for the moment with as high of a GPA as I can), and this thread has been very inspiring for me!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Shredzeppelin240 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Don't want to be the bearer of bad news--and yes, it is possible to improve your LSAT score through study--but it's rare for anyone to improve as much as you need to to get into Harvard.

I don't know why anyone would want to go to law school these days, what with the insane debt levels and poor employment options even from Harvard, but my advice is to set aggressive but reasonable expectations.

Are you sure you don't just want to become a teacher or something?
This has to be a troll right? Even from Harvard? You think options are bad from Harvard? And your suggestion is to go into teaching? Nothing against teaching, my family is made up of high school teachers, but when suggesting a better career from a financial standpoint my first suggestion would not be teaching.
The only job you're almost guaranteed from Harvard is a Biglaw job, which requires you to work crazy hours mostly defending corporations from doing nefarious shit, which in turn requires you to live in a high COL area and pay down a ~$250,000 student loan burden. I don't think most people would consider being a Biglaw associate a desirable job in isolation--it's only a desirable job because it's the least bad out of many other worse options. As for clerkships and boutique public interest positions--those are still very selective, even from Harvard.

If you get a great scholarship there, by all means, go for it. But $250,000 in student loan debt is a burden for anyone, including a Harvard grad. If you go that route and realize you hate Biglaw after a year, you end up in a big hole with no way of getting out quickly.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:15 pm

mysonx3 wrote:
Shredzeppelin240 wrote:Just drilled the first LR section of June 2018 and got -2, which I am very happy with. That is way better than my average. I am feeling reeeeeal good about Monday. Relaxed, confident, not too stressed. Definitely glad I ended on the 175.
Good luck! I will be taking the LSAT next year (probably first take in February or March - focusing on finishing up undergrad for the moment with as high of a GPA as I can), and this thread has been very inspiring for me!
Good luck friend! I'm glad you've found it helpful!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:20 pm

JCougar wrote:
Shredzeppelin240 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Don't want to be the bearer of bad news--and yes, it is possible to improve your LSAT score through study--but it's rare for anyone to improve as much as you need to to get into Harvard.

I don't know why anyone would want to go to law school these days, what with the insane debt levels and poor employment options even from Harvard, but my advice is to set aggressive but reasonable expectations.

Are you sure you don't just want to become a teacher or something?
This has to be a troll right? Even from Harvard? You think options are bad from Harvard? And your suggestion is to go into teaching? Nothing against teaching, my family is made up of high school teachers, but when suggesting a better career from a financial standpoint my first suggestion would not be teaching.
The only job you're almost guaranteed from Harvard is a Biglaw job, which requires you to work crazy hours mostly defending corporations from doing nefarious shit, which in turn requires you to live in a high COL area and pay down a ~$250,000 student loan burden. I don't think most people would consider being a Biglaw associate a desirable job in isolation--it's only a desirable job because it's the least bad out of many other worse options. As for clerkships and boutique public interest positions--those are still very selective, even from Harvard.

If you get a great scholarship there, by all means, go for it. But $250,000 in student loan debt is a burden for anyone, including a Harvard grad. If you go that route and realize you hate Biglaw after a year, you end up in a big hole with no way of getting out quickly.
I understand that if biglaw is your route than other options may prove better, especially considering the lack of money harvard offers. I still refuse to believe that harvard is a bad option. Even with considerable debt, a degree from harvard can make it pretty likely to land a job at a mid sized law firm or regional law firm that still pays well, just not as well as big law. I agree with your sentiment, but what was said before regarding the poor employment options is just not likely. Poor employment options is certainty not a reason to turn down harvard. Debt is a much more practical one. Even then tho, debt form harvard in most instances is probably good debt if there is ever such thing. I agree tho a scholarship to duke or uva where it is probably just as likely to land big law would be better considering that route.

EDIT: I probably spoke too strong about employment options never being a good reason to turn down harvard, but in most cases it is. I think when you're comparing all the amazing outcomes that can come debt free or little to no debt out of the top 14 harvard gets some pressure, but considering the entire applicant pool it's just too strong to say harvard actually has bad employment options.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 pm

pretty frustrated honestly. I felt pretty good about the test except for lg. It was probably the easiest lg section i have ever come across but i forgot to set my watch before cause i had to rush in from the break from the bathroom. I got to the last section with plenty of time but came to the last question which was a MBT and kind of required a little bit of brute forcing. I know I got that one wrong. I know it is only one but I thought for sure i got 100% on lg. It really was shockingly easy i kept thinking they were going to throw in a crazy game eventually. It's gonna bother me til the scores release. oh well.

soon as i got home i redid the problem and realized my sloppiness.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 am

168! Fairly happy with it. Feels good to get a score I can actually use and is within my range. Still taking in July for sure though!

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 am

kind of a sad update. My school's professor and registrar messed up a grade of mine so my gpa has fallen to a 3.93. It was a pretty insane situation, far too long to explain on here. Essentially, the professor was let go after it happened but the school wont correct my gpa because it was assigned late by the professor following graduation. They refuse to change it simply for the sake of policy - that no grades can be amended following graduation. I promise I'm not just playing victim's bias. This happened a few weeks ago and I was too upset/hopeful to update.

Ah well it isn't the end of the world. Hopefully I can makeup for it on my next lsat attempt. Happy summer and good luck july takers!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”