Working while in law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sarahamelia

New

Working while in law school

Post by Sarahamelia » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 am

For those of you that worked and went to law school:

What was the rank of your school?
Do you have any regrets about working while I school? How long did it take you to find a job?
Did you still graduate with a lot of debt?

Sorry for all the questions but I dont know of anyone doing this so I thought I'd ask on here. I just want to figure out if it's worth it.

albanach

Gold

Re: Working while in law school

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Sarahamelia wrote: Sorry for all the questions but I dont know of anyone doing this so I thought I'd ask on here. I just want to figure out if it's worth it.
The only folk I know who did this did school related jobs - reps for a bar company, working in the library, etc.

I would strongly advise against doing anything beyond that.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm

I know folks who took outside jobs as 3Ls (they already had BigLaw jobs locked down by then, so didn't really care about their GPA anymore).

I also know folks who worked as patent agents while attending law school. This most commonly involves working full-time during the day while attending school part-time at night. This is a very miserable lifestyle.

ImaginaryDay

New

Post by ImaginaryDay » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:54 pm

In my school, first years were not allowed to work more than 10 hours while going to school full-time. We also had a 4 year night program where most of them did work while going to part-time school. But I know it was very hard on some of them.

The school usually keeps tabs on if you work or not. Each school has its own rules about allowing students to work. Many students started a job between 1L and 2L years and just cut down the hours. I believe 2Ls could work 20 hours while going to school full-time. I groomed dogs on the side to be able to have a little extra money, but it was always on the weekends and I set the hours.

Once we got to our third year, most people had an internship, externship, or part-time jobs as they progressed from school to careers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”