Apply This Year or Retake & Wait? (3.3/170)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TrashSplitter

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Apply This Year or Retake & Wait? (3.3/170)

Postby TrashSplitter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:15 pm

We all just got our September results back and I improved to a 170, which was disappointing to me as when I walked out of the testing room that was about as low as I thought possible. Going over the results, it looks like I got every question wrong I thought I might when I was taking the test, which is good in the sense that at least I know my weaknesses. In any case, at this point I think a much more methodical and long term study plan is necessary to be confident of a significantly higher score, so I really don't want to take the November test as I have no confidence I can get myself to score consistently higher before then.

That introduces the dilemma. With my numbers, I have a pretty poor chance of making it into the T14, which I'm pretty committed to attending a T14 or at least a very strong regional, but anything after November is far too late to get admitted, especially as a splitter. Should I just wait a year and retake in June? Seems the most viable, least costly path to T14.

LegalBiology

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 pm

Re: Apply This Year or Retake & Wait? (3.3/170)

Postby LegalBiology » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm

TrashSplitter wrote:We all just got our September results back and I improved to a 170, which was disappointing to me as when I walked out of the testing room that was about as low as I thought possible. Going over the results, it looks like I got every question wrong I thought I might when I was taking the test, which is good in the sense that at least I know my weaknesses. In any case, at this point I think a much more methodical and long term study plan is necessary to be confident of a significantly higher score, so I really don't want to take the November test as I have no confidence I can get myself to score consistently higher before then.

That introduces the dilemma. With my numbers, I have a pretty poor chance of making it into the T14, which I'm pretty committed to attending a T14 or at least a very strong regional, but anything after November is far too late to get admitted, especially as a splitter. Should I just wait a year and retake in June? Seems the most viable, least costly path to T14.


I mean like, a 170 is already 2 points higher than cornell/GT top quartile, and you're at the top quartile for Duke and Northwestern. I think UCB and UPENN also have 168 75th percentile, although their GPA might be higher.

I'd say a 171 or 172 would be enough for a lower T14, would't you think? unless youre aiming for HYS

TrashSplitter

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Re: Apply This Year or Retake & Wait? (3.3/170)

Postby TrashSplitter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm

LegalBiology wrote:
TrashSplitter wrote:We all just got our September results back and I improved to a 170, which was disappointing to me as when I walked out of the testing room that was about as low as I thought possible. Going over the results, it looks like I got every question wrong I thought I might when I was taking the test, which is good in the sense that at least I know my weaknesses. In any case, at this point I think a much more methodical and long term study plan is necessary to be confident of a significantly higher score, so I really don't want to take the November test as I have no confidence I can get myself to score consistently higher before then.

That introduces the dilemma. With my numbers, I have a pretty poor chance of making it into the T14, which I'm pretty committed to attending a T14 or at least a very strong regional, but anything after November is far too late to get admitted, especially as a splitter. Should I just wait a year and retake in June? Seems the most viable, least costly path to T14.


I mean like, a 170 is already 2 points higher than cornell/GT top quartile, and you're at the top quartile for Duke and Northwestern. I think UCB and UPENN also have 168 75th percentile, although their GPA might be higher.

I'd say a 171 or 172 would be enough for a lower T14, would't you think? unless youre aiming for HYS


I'm really assuming HYS are out. If I pulled off a miracle and got a 175+ or something I might throw in an app at Harvard just because, but I'd have zero expectation of getting that.

My main thing is I'd like $-$$$ from somewhere in the mid to lower T14 and I don't think that's possible with my present score. The main reason I want that money is I'd like to escape law school with less than 100K in overall debt. With some help from the family I'll receive and some savings, I think I could do that with 1/3-1/2 tuition scholarship at most schools. I guess this decision is going to end up being personal. If I get this gig I'm looking at, it will be a no brainer to wait a year as with a 1/3-1/2 tuition scholarship I could probably escape with less than 50K in loans being conservative. It's even possible I escape in the black.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests