Help - Old LSAT Score Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SullatheDictator

New

Help - Old LSAT Score

Post by SullatheDictator » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi all,

to my horror I had to realize that Harvard and Columbia do not accept Scores before June 2014 for this admission cycle. I took my Lsat in October 2013 (176) and always thought it would be still valid for this admission cycle (as it is still valid on LSAC + almost all other schools).

However Harvard is my dream school - and while it didn't specify in their application, their FAQ on their website specify the June 2014 cut-off line.

Obviously the first thing I considered is taking the LSAT in November, but unfortunately im an International application and there are no test dates outside of the US for November - the next one would be in January. Harvard admission closes on 1st of February, so even if I retake the LSAT in January the scores wouldn't be there in time.

Any suggestions on what to do or am I as screwed as I think I am? Thanks for your help!

Best,
Lukas

QContinuum

Re: Help - Old LSAT Score

Post by QContinuum » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:52 am

You should email HLS and CLS' admissions offices, but it's likely you're sunk w.r.t. those two schools (both of which do rolling admissions, so even if they agree to consider your February 2019 LSAT score, you'd still be at a disadvantage).

What are your goals out of law school? Chicago or NYU with $ (a real possibility given your 176) may very well be better than HLS anyway.

SullatheDictator

New

Post by SullatheDictator » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:58 am

Thanks for the reply - I have already E-mailed them but I am not expecting any positive replies.

I would like to get into M&A / Transactions work post law-school - one big advantage of both Columbia and Harvard is that they allow me to take the Singapore Bar (which is where I live). The only other two schools that qualify for that are NYU and Michigan.

I guess worst case I will have to take the LSAT again and postpone another year (while applying to some schools this year) - but still very disappointing.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 pm

SullatheDictator wrote:Thanks for the reply - I have already E-mailed them but I am not expecting any positive replies.

I would like to get into M&A / Transactions work post law-school - one big advantage of both Columbia and Harvard is that they allow me to take the Singapore Bar (which is where I live). The only other two schools that qualify for that are NYU and Michigan.

I guess worst case I will have to take the LSAT again and postpone another year (while applying to some schools this year) - but still very disappointing.
You don't need Harvard for corporate M&A. I also don't think Singapore bar eligibility is required (or even preferred) for that kind of work. High-end firms (which you'd be aiming for with the caliber of school you're considering) prefer U.S. lawyers, or at least UK lawyers, because sophisticated M&A is generally based on U.S. (and occasionally UK) law, not local law. Many U.S.-trained/NY-barred lawyers work in Asian (incl. Singapore) BigLaw without ever taking the local bar.

If Singapore bar eligibility is a big concern for you, if you get money at NYU or Mich I'd still go for it instead of postponing for a year & retaking. A J.D. from either NYU/Mich is more than sufficient for M&A.

SullatheDictator

New

Post by SullatheDictator » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:37 am

Appreciate the insights - until now my understanding was that they preferred local lawyers, but this does make sense.

My current schools I am targeting (except Harvard and Columbia) are NYU, Chicago, Penn, Stanford and potentially Michigan - would you suggest any other schools in specific regards to M&A Law?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:58 am

SullatheDictator wrote:Appreciate the insights - until now my understanding was that they preferred local lawyers, but this does make sense.

My current schools I am targeting (except Harvard and Columbia) are NYU, Chicago, Penn, Stanford and potentially Michigan - would you suggest any other schools in specific regards to M&A Law?
All of the T13 place extremely well into general corporate work. Since you don't have a U.S. GPA and are an international applicant (thus less predictability in admissions), I'd recommend blanketing the T13. Keep in mind that if you don't have strong softs, Yale and Stanford are unlikely to offer admission.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”