Help - 2 LSATs way lower than PT, unusual for me Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LegalBiology

New

Help - 2 LSATs way lower than PT, unusual for me

Post by LegalBiology » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:11 am

I am a biochem major at a top 20 college and almost always score HIGHER on real tests than practice tests, and always have. for the record, i am also in mensa

why is the lsat giving me such a hard time? PT around 170 right before both my tests, the first take I got mid 150s and i just got my score back and it was 160

i'm rescheduled for november but idk what I'm going to do, why am i testing so much different? any advice?

nixy

Gold

Re: Help - 2 LSATs way lower than PT, unusual for me

Post by nixy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:53 am

When you say you were PTing "around 170," is that an average? What was the range of scores you got on PTs? How many did you take?

LegalBiology

New

Post by LegalBiology » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 am

nixy wrote:When you say you were PTing "around 170," is that an average? What was the range of scores you got on PTs? How many did you take?
the five i took before my test were

so maybe average just below a 170, but still, a 150/160 seems like a huge drop from that

(oh an i obviously took more than 5 total PTs, but those were the most recent up until the test)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 am

When you PT, do you do the entire test in one go, like the real thing? Or do you PT in sections?

Are your scores on the real thing uniformly lower across sections, or are you specifically bombing, say, LG?

Do you "freeze up" or otherwise freak out during the actual thing?

LegalBiology

New

Post by LegalBiology » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:55 am

QContinuum wrote:When you PT, do you do the entire test in one go, like the real thing? Or do you PT in sections?

Are your scores on the real thing uniformly lower across sections, or are you specifically bombing, say, LG?

Do you "freeze up" or otherwise freak out during the actual thing?
always take the full (well, 4 section) test with 15 minute break after 3rd section. on PT, i consistently miss almost the same amount of questions in each section; almost always 4 on RC, 2 or 3 on LR and 2 or 3 on LG. I missed about double that on this september test. one thing i do see - which might offer insight - is that on the first RC passage and on the first logic game I missed half the questions i missed on those sections.... maybe when I first open to a section i'm not focused or "in the groove yet"... LR seem to be scattered throughout the test

on my PT, i normally miss the questions toward the end of each section, presumably when the questions get harder.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”