E-mail school correcting this mistake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Buggefraiche

New

E-mail school correcting this mistake?

Post by Buggefraiche » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi all,

In my NYU application, submitted about two weeks ago, I mistakenly listed my involvement in a student organization as ending in December 2016, when it should have been December 2015. I graduated from the university in May 2016 and was working abroad in December 2016 so I think it is pretty noticeable, besides just being factually incorrect. The error is in the application section for extracurriculars AND on my resume.

Am I correct that I should e-mail admissions with a brief explanation and updated resume?
Last edited by Buggefraiche on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Re: E-mail school correcting this mistake?

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Buggefraiche wrote:Hi all,

In my NYU application, submitted 9/1, I mistakenly listed my involvement in a student organization as ending in December 2016, when it should have been December 2015. I graduated from the university in May 2016 and was working abroad in December 2016 so I think it is pretty noticeable, besides just being factually incorrect. The error is in the application section for extracurriculars AND on my resume.

Am I correct that I should e-mail admissions with a brief explanation and updated resume?
Na don't call attention to it.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Buggefraiche wrote:Hi all,

In my NYU application, submitted 9/1, I mistakenly listed my involvement in a student organization as ending in December 2016, when it should have been December 2015. I graduated from the university in May 2016 and was working abroad in December 2016 so I think it is pretty noticeable, besides just being factually incorrect. The error is in the application section for extracurriculars AND on my resume.

Na don't call attention to it.
Disagree. I can't imagine correcting this error would adversely affect OP's chances. But failing to correct it could result in a C&F issue down the road.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 pm

QContinuum wrote: Disagree. I can't imagine correcting this error would adversely affect OP's chances. But failing to correct it could result in a C&F issue down the road.
Lol, no, a typo has zero chance of being a C+F issue. That doesn't mean you shouldn't correct it though.

OP-- you submitted 09/01, only a few weeks ago. We're extremely early in the cycle. I lean toward thinking you ought to correct it. Just send the resume as an "updated resume" (if possible through LSAC, if forget), and send an email asking NYU to update the application section. It won't affect your chances.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:47 am

Pneumonia wrote:
QContinuum wrote: Disagree. I can't imagine correcting this error would adversely affect OP's chances. But failing to correct it could result in a C&F issue down the road.
Lol, no, a typo has zero chance of being a C+F issue.
You're willing to go as far as "zero chance"? I'm certainly not. This isn't a run-of-the-mill spelling error or whatnot. This overstates the length of OP's affiliation with an organization by an entire year - something that could arguably make OP's application appear stronger than it actually is. Do I think this would ultimately keep OP off the bar? No. Do I think this could potentially cause considerable trouble & expense for OP if it's spotted? Yes. You generally want to avoid anything that might draw C&F attention to yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

inthetrenches21

New

Post by inthetrenches21 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 am

QContinuum wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
You're willing to go as far as "zero chance"? I'm certainly not. This isn't a run-of-the-mill spelling error or whatnot. This overstates the length of OP's affiliation with an organization by an entire year - something that could arguably make OP's application appear stronger than it actually is. Do I think this would ultimately keep OP off the bar? No. Do I think this could potentially cause considerable trouble & expense for OP if it's spotted? Yes. You generally want to avoid anything that might draw C&F attention to yourself.
How rigorous is the C&F portion of the bar? Would they go so far as to contact that organization and ask them how long OP was associated? I dont claim to be an expert, but I always thought the C&F check was for like red flags, i.e. flat out lying on transcripts, serious criminal history, etc.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 am

QContinuum wrote: Do I think this could potentially cause considerable trouble & expense for OP if it's spotted? Yes. You generally want to avoid anything that might draw C&F attention to yourself.
Look I'm usually a stickler for C+F too, but this is literally just a typo. If C+F notices, and if they care to inquire about it, OP can just say "that was a typo." Agree it makes sense to fix it though.

Buggefraiche

New

Post by Buggefraiche » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:16 am

Thank you all for your input! I went ahead and emailed Admissions to let them know about the error and included a corrected resume.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 am

inthetrenches21 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
How rigorous is the C&F portion of the bar? Would they go so far as to contact that organization and ask them how long OP was associated? I dont claim to be an expert, but I always thought the C&F check was for like red flags, i.e. flat out lying on transcripts, serious criminal history, etc.
They can/will contact previous employers to verify, yes.

Though I agree “it was a typo” would probably handle it fine.

Greenlanpern

New

Post by Greenlanpern » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Just send an updated resume w some updates. Keep it at that. No need to point it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”