C&F Issue (UK candidate) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sdfghj56789

New

C&F Issue (UK candidate)

Post by sdfghj56789 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:44 am

UK student currently on the BPTC (Bar course) currently facing allegations of cheating in exam.

Suspect that likely outcome will be either a finding of straight-out cheating or reckless/negligent act in exam. Yes, I know, I’m an idiot. Will most probably kill any hope of admissions in the UK.

3 questions:
1. When is the earliest one can check for C&F certification for NY bar? Definitely intend to disclose.
2. Is this a hard barrier to admissions in NY bar as well? If anyone has prior experience
3. Any states where these issues are looked at more favourably? Believe that I have an otherwise clean slate.

Appreciate that anything said here will not contribute legal advice, but if anyone can point me in the right direction….much appreciated.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: C&F Issue (UK candidate)

Post by estefanchanning » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:50 am

sdfghj56789 wrote:UK student currently on the BPTC (Bar course) currently facing allegations of cheating in exam.

Suspect that likely outcome will be either a finding of straight-out cheating or reckless/negligent act in exam. Yes, I know, I’m an idiot. Will most probably kill any hope of admissions in the UK.

3 questions:
1. When is the earliest one can check for C&F certification for NY bar? Definitely intend to disclose.
2. Is this a hard barrier to admissions in NY bar as well? If anyone has prior experience
3. Any states where these issues are looked at more favourably? Believe that I have an otherwise clean slate.

Appreciate that anything said here will not contribute legal advice, but if anyone can point me in the right direction….much appreciated.
1) I don't understand this Q. You mean when is the earliest you can apply? I believe in NY you have to pass the bar before applying for CF. Different states operate differently.
2) Honestly, idk if you will pass any CF application in any state with your cheating transgression. Not trying to make you feel bad, cheating in general is a big deal. Perhaps cheating in college can be overlooked, but cheating on your bar course is likely a categorical CF denial for at least a few years.
3) No, all states look at cheating equally unfavorable.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:03 am

sdfghj56789 wrote:UK student currently on the BPTC (Bar course) currently facing allegations of cheating in exam.

3 questions:

To any US C&F committee, this is going to look like a desperate attempt to escape the consequences of your actions. That's never a good look in C&F.

I agree with the above, at least for several years you are going to have a very very hard time gaining admission. You need to do everything in your power to rebuild trust. Also, if you haven't already, you should find a lawyer to assist and represent you in the UK matter.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:16 pm

I don't believe academic misconduct is a hard barrier to bar admission. Anecdotal example, my friend was found to have plagiarized a paper fall of 3l year. He admitted it to our law schools honor council, took full responsibility, and got off easy with an opportunity to re-write the paper and took a C in the class.

Disclosed to the New York State Bar and after a couple of interviews, proof he took full responsibility, he was licensed a only after a couple extra months.

sdfghj56789

New

Post by sdfghj56789 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks all for the input. Please keep 'em coming.

Yes, I have extensively sought legal advice on the issue as well in the UK, hence my statement that it most likely will not clear the equivalent of the bar here.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:50 am

Calbears123 wrote:I don't believe academic misconduct is a hard barrier to bar admission. Anecdotal example, my friend was found to have plagiarized a paper fall of 3l year. He admitted it to our law schools honor council, took full responsibility, and got off easy with an opportunity to re-write the paper and took a C in the class.

Disclosed to the New York State Bar and after a couple of interviews, proof he took full responsibility, he was licensed a only after a couple extra months.
Idk, this strikes me as very anomalous. Cheating is quite possibly the worst thing you can do to derail your CF. I guess the extent and scope of the transgression matters, but I feel that cheating on the bar exam is as bad as it gets.

OP, I would immediately go to a psychologist (seriously) to show you dug deep and tried to work through your issue. I would also write apology letters for everyone involved that you defrauded. I would also consider taking a year off to volunteer and be a public speaker about why you shouldn't cheat (at high schools and community colleges). I'm legit serious about all of this. You need to show 1) rehab 2) remorse and 3) actual change.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”