Advice for Splitter - Retake or Apply Early? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
namhoa

New

Advice for Splitter - Retake or Apply Early?

Post by namhoa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi -

I'm a splitter (3.1/168) looking to apply this fall. I just took the September test with hopes of scoring 170+, but it went horribly and I'm cancelling the score. I was testing in the 169-173 range prior to the July test, and I foolishly took the September test with very little additional preparation. The plan has always been to apply as early as possible considering my low GPA, but now I'm trying to decide if I should take the November test and apply in December (not delaying another year). Unfortunately, I've already taken the test 3 times (including the one cancellation), so I'm also concerned how this will look to adcoms. And of course I can't know for sure whether my score will improve.

My goal is NYC biglaw, and I realize the options with my current score aren't great for this outcome. I'm also pretty debt adverse. If I don't retake, I'm probably looking at Fordham (or Vandy?), which I'm not so excited about.

So here are my questions:
1) Should I retake or apply early with a 168?
2) Will applying in December significantly hurt my chances as a splitter?
3) Will retaking look bad to adcoms?

Any additional advice is appreciated.

albanach

Gold

Re: Advice for Splitter - Retake or Apply Early?

Post by albanach » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:31 am

namhoa wrote:
So here are my questions:
1) Should I retake or apply early with a 168?
You should retake. The 168 isn't enough for you to secure money at the schools you want. While the rest of the T-20 currently have good employment stats (even into biglaw) you're trying to predict the economy four years out.

Also, you're debt adverse. Retaking and improving will save you a fortune. Get your PTs into the 171-175 range. Delay a year if necessary.
namhoa wrote:2) Will applying in December significantly hurt my chances as a splitter?
No.
namhoa wrote: 3) Will retaking look bad to adcoms?
No

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”