International + US GPA, how does it work?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rkim111

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm

International + US GPA, how does it work?

Postby rkim111 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 pm

I attended U.S school then transferred to an international one and received my degree there.

I heard that law schools do not care much about GPAs if you received your degree from other countries since your academic report shows it as 'superior' or 'average' based on the number you got

In this case do law schools only consider my U.S GPA?
even if i did not receive degree there?

or do they count both? or international one more seriously?

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1529
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: International + US GPA, how does it work?

Postby albanach » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 am

rkim111 wrote:I attended U.S school then transferred to an international one and received my degree there.

I heard that law schools do not care much about GPAs if you received your degree from other countries since your academic report shows it as 'superior' or 'average' based on the number you got

In this case do law schools only consider my U.S GPA?
even if i did not receive degree there?

or do they count both? or international one more seriously?


Did you complete more than 60 credit hours of college level classes in the US? If so, you will have an LSAC GPA based on those hours and your cycle will be similar to someone graduating with that GPA.

https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... marization

If you are not a US citizen but would have employment authorization in the US, you probably want that to be clear on your application. Anecdotally it may be harder for non-US citizens/permanent residents because schools are concerned you may not be able to secure employment post-graduation; a situation that could harm their ranking.

rkim111

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: International + US GPA, how does it work?

Postby rkim111 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:09 pm

albanach wrote:
rkim111 wrote:I attended U.S school then transferred to an international one and received my degree there.

I heard that law schools do not care much about GPAs if you received your degree from other countries since your academic report shows it as 'superior' or 'average' based on the number you got

In this case do law schools only consider my U.S GPA?
even if i did not receive degree there?

or do they count both? or international one more seriously?


Did you complete more than 60 credit hours of college level classes in the US? If so, you will have an LSAC GPA based on those hours and your cycle will be similar to someone graduating with that GPA.

https://www.lsac.org/applying-law-schoo ... marization

If you are not a US citizen but would have employment authorization in the US, you probably want that to be clear on your application. Anecdotally it may be harder for non-US citizens/permanent residents because schools are concerned you may not be able to secure employment post-graduation; a situation that could harm their ranking.









Thank you for answering!

I am a US citizen and did not complete 60 credit hours in the US, but more than 60 credits at the international one.
In this case do they consider me as an international student? (at least my GPA?)

Your link was so helpful yet still so confusing

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1529
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: International + US GPA, how does it work?

Postby albanach » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:18 pm

rkim111 wrote:
Thank you for answering!

I am a US citizen and did not complete 60 credit hours in the US, but more than 60 credits at the international one.
In this case do they consider me as an international student? (at least my GPA?)

Your link was so helpful yet still so confusing


I don't pretend to be an expert, but it looks like the school will get a GPA report for each year you spent at a US college.

Your international degree will also be reviewed and given an assessment of “Superior”, “Above Average”, “Average” or “Below Average”.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lizard_Man and 20 guests