Disclose PTSD in Addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Res publica

New

Disclose PTSD in Addendum?

Post by Res publica » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi,

I would like some advice on whether I should disclose PTSD in my application by writing a GPA addendum. NB: it's kinda depressing

So here's my quick story: My father had a substance abuse problem and severe depression in my childhood. He committed suicide a year before I started college. My paternal grandfather sort of "took over" as my fatherly figure in life. He moved to Florida house mid-way through my time at college due to his declining health. I visited him during the school year nearly 15-20 times during my college tenure. He died my senior year of college. The stress from childhood trauma and family death and guilt got me diagnosed for Childhood Trauma and PTSD. There is no question that this affected me in college and my grades. I have 5 withdrawals due to absences from traveling to Florida and medicore grades from fatigue and anxiety. Some semesters I had a 3.8, others were a 2.5. No GPA trend at all.

I have never had depression or any "crippling" anxiety. I have since visited a physchologist and doctor and resolved feelings of guilt and helped reduce/eliminate stress & PTSD.

I earned a 3.3 and have a very nice 178 in my pocket that I worked really hard to get :wink: :) I am currently working now as an analyst at a regional investment bank.

I am applying next cycle, and would really like to break into a top 10 (preferably CLS). So after hearing all that, should I disclose this in an Addendum? Will this help offset my lower GPA? Thoughts?

Kaziende

Bronze

Re: Disclose PTSD in Addendum?

Post by Kaziende » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:58 pm

As an explanation for inconsistent academic performance, I think this could answer some important questions for the admissions committee. I'm no expert, and I'd recommend posing the question to an admissions consultant, but I have a feeling that this disclosure could work in your favor, as long as you define in clear terms the scope of the trauma and its impact on your ability to engage with your academic work at specific periods of your time in college.

Also, if you choose to disclose, I'd definitely recommend emphasizing your treatment and recovery and provide some evidence (e.g., recent work experience) that shows that your future academic performance in law school is not likely to be impacted by the condition.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Why would you do this? You can mention that you had absences to care for your seriously ill grandfather. I would not mention mental illness in an application.

Res publica

New

Post by Res publica » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:59 pm

I don't have it anymore, but I definitely had it during college. Don't you think it would help explain GPA plus give more of a struggle story?

@Kaziende, I will probably reach out to an admissions consultant, thanks for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”