Should I go back to law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2ndTimesTheCharm

New

Should I go back to law school?

Post by 2ndTimesTheCharm » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Need some honest feedback, any and all advice will be welcomed.

So a few years ago I was convinced law school was the right route for me. High paying jobs, social status, and continuing the line of lawyers in my family it was the something I pursued. Changed my major from Crim Justice to Legal studies, took a TestMasters course and began studying.. well sort of. I half-assd my TM course and really only started focusing and prepping several months after my course. Took the LSAT, improved from a 140 to a 148. I panicked my first time around and the second time around for my standards was around where I was PT'ing. A few months go by and I apply to two T4 law schools in my area, I get rejected by one and offered an alternative admissions program for the other. I without hesitation pay for the program and take the course. 5 weeks go by and I pass, barely, but managed a way to skid by. I'm going to law school! Law school comes around and I wasn't in the right place. I was depressed, anxious, and didn't feel in place. My first semester was awful, I hated it, there was so much work I didn't enjoy, clicky classmates I didn't get along with, and mental health issues I was facing before and worsen by the stress of law school. I flunk out (I could have appealed sighting some of my hardships as issues that had been resolved but I chose not to since the GPA from my 1st semester would severely hinder my abilities to find a good job, get good internships etc.). Now I have over 50k debt from law school alone and am not happy where my professional career is headed. I want to go back to law school, I've been reading more than I've ever read in my life, I keep up with politics, and I know with the right training and guidance I can drastically improve my LSAT score. I need some advice as stated above, any and all criticism/feedback is welcomed.

QContinuum

Re: Should I go back to law school?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:52 am

I hope this isn't taken as cruelty, but I think it's important for me to be very direct.
2ndTimesTheCharm wrote:Need some honest feedback, any and all advice will be welcomed.

So a few years ago I was convinced law school was the right route for me. High paying jobs, social status, and continuing the line of lawyers in my family it was the something I pursued.
Do your familial connections have a legal job just waiting for you to step into, as soon as you pass the bar? If not, it's extremely unlikely you'll end up with a high-paying job (or social status, for that matter) as a graduate of a T4 law school.
2ndTimesTheCharm wrote:Now I have over 50k debt from law school alone and am not happy where my professional career is headed. I want to go back to law school, I've been reading more than I've ever read in my life, I keep up with politics, and I know with the right training and guidance I can drastically improve my LSAT score.
Please don't go to law school just because you're "not happy where your professional career is headed." You already have $50k debt from a single semester of law school! At this rate, you're going to rack up well over $300k debt (since you're gonna hafta repeat that first semester, and tuition will only rise as you go along) by the time you graduate. How are you going to pay all that debt back?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”