"Serious Warning" on Transcript Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tlscurious

New

"Serious Warning" on Transcript

Post by tlscurious » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi all, my first post! I have two questions: 1] will law schools expect an explanation or personal statement if my transcript notes that my academic level was "serious warning" for two semesters in college? 2] how do law schools view applicants who graduate in 9 semesters rather than the traditional 8?

Background: I am a rising senior at an Ivy. My grades and credit completion dipped during 2 years of college when I spent a significant amount of my time taking care of a sibling and her baby (my sister experienced DV and periods of unemployment). I couldn't balance school and family as well as I hoped. I have worked closely with a dean to get back on track. This dean suggested that I petition for an additional semester of financial aid, so that I can spread out my remaining credits and experience the university as most students do (i.e. without the obligations + emergencies of my family). How might law schools view my application if they see I took longer than usual to complete my degree?

I appreciate any advice or insight

lawschool99

New

Re: "Serious Warning" on Transcript

Post by lawschool99 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the 9 semesters. I would be more worried about the warning notations and what your LSAC GPA comes out to be. I'm not sure about writing an explanation for the notations, but I don't think the personal statement is the right place to do so. Perhaps you can write an addendum explaining the dip and how you worked to get back on track/showed improvement. Good luck!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:38 pm

[1] Don't talk about it in your personal statement. Do so, if at all, in an addendum.

[2] Nine semesters vs. eight is one of the most inconsequential factors I've ever heard of. It is not worth thinking about. Law schools will not care at all. It sounds like your Dean is advising you in your best interest. Do whatever you think is best; it won't have any affect on law school admissions (other than a GPA differential, if any).

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Pneumonia wrote:[1] Don't talk about it in your personal statement. Do so, if at all, in an addendum.
Agreed that OP shouldn't discuss this in his/her PS, but OP should definitely write an addendum about it. A "serious warning" on the ol' transcript is important enough and red-flaggy-enough that I wouldn't recommend leaving it unaddressed, esp. when OP has a compelling story to tell (about taking time away from academics to care for his/her battered sister and her child).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”