Retake LSAT to Improve Application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
seneca93

New

Retake LSAT to Improve Application?

Post by seneca93 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm

My stats/background:

LSAT - 168 July 2018, 159 June 2017 (had a tough personal issue that caused my June score; I plan on writing an addendum)
GPA - 3.83
Major - Business Economics from a reputable state school (Top 15 undergrad business program - USNEWS)
Years out of undergrad - 3

Work Experience - held leading data roles on multiple political campaigns, including a presidential campaign in 2016; started my own company providing data and technology consulting services to political campaigns

Goals - I want to focus on international and comparative law while in law school, then likely pursue a career doing transactional work

Target schools - Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, Georgetown, NYU

The problem:

I feel like my numbers and background will get me into some of my target schools. However, I am considerably debt averse, and I feel as though I will be paying close to sticker in the event that I am accepted and matriculate at one of my target schools. Is this an accurate assessment?

I have already signed up for the next LSAT to hopefully improve my chances of scholarship money, but I am not sure if I should take it or not. I averaged a 171 on my practice tests (I took about 15), so I know that I can do better, but doing better is far from a guarantee. Plus, I am concerned of what taking a third exam would look like on my application, especially if my score were to go down. So, should I retake, or will my current application be enough to get me into some of my targets with some scholarship money?

Any input would be much appreciated! :D

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Re: Retake LSAT to Improve Application?

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Pretty much every school other than Yale doesn't care about 3 or 4 LSAT attempts. They will just take your highest score and happily admit you based on that. Scoring a 171 on your next take will get you significant scholarship money from GT/Northwestern and maybe also from Duke/Michigan. You probably need a 173+ to get significant scholarship money from NYU.

mmac

New

Re: Retake LSAT to Improve Application?

Post by mmac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:03 pm

It looks like you have a good chance at Georgetown now, possibly with money. That may be a good fit considering the interest in politics.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”