Unsure what my chances are... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DerKatze

New

Re: Unsure what my chances are...

Post by DerKatze » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:10 pm

mslucey wrote:I have a 3.6 GPA from the #1 university in the country, which is famous for grade deflation.
I'm pretty sure this university doesn't exist.

DerKatze

New

Post by DerKatze » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 pm

To be more helpful, your extracurriculars, your major, and where you attend give you at best a very marginal boost, and at worst play no role in the admissions process. Most of where you go is determined by your GPA and LSAT score. The fact that you are a URM will help substantially, and I don't think your GPA (for a URM) will exclude you from the T14. Maybe from the top couple of schools, though.

If you get a 170 and weren't a URM, you would have a chance at some of the lower, splitter-friendly T14 schools, like UVA. Being a URM will expand your options beyond this. That said, a couple points difference in LSAT score makes a huge difference.

BarelyConcealedRage

New

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Important to not here hispanic does not mean URM. You need to be specifically Mexican or Puerto Rican. Other hispanics get a small diversity boost.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 am

Lol do people at Princeton really refer to their school as the #1 in the country? Is this a troll?

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Lol do people at Princeton really refer to their school as the #1 in the country? Is this a troll?
It kind of is though. And not a troll - just a common sentiment. The school is undergrad-focused and a bit brain-washy, like a utopia in the middle of New Jersey.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:09 pm

dogger wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:Lol do people at Princeton really refer to their school as the #1 in the country? Is this a troll?
It kind of is though. And not a troll - just a common sentiment. The school is undergrad-focused and a bit brain-washy, like a utopia in the middle of New Jersey.
HYSP is to undergrad what HYS is to law school. Most people choose Harvard over Princeton anyways.

DerKatze

New

Post by DerKatze » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 pm

I figured it was Princeton, but I didn't say anything because Princeton stopped deflating grades in 2014, which--assuming from the present tense of the post that they are currently a student--means it was rescinded before the OP started there.

mslucey

New

Post by mslucey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Hey everyone,

This post was made by a friend from my account, with good intentions but bad execution. Since it has identifying information, I'm trying to get it removed from the site for reasons of safety. If TLS is unable to do this, could you stop posting on it so that the visibility eventually fades?

Also, Princeton does still have grade deflation in certain courses and departments, including all STEM, it's just no longer a universal policy. Just so you're more informed, since it sounds like you aren't an ivy student yourself- if you have any questions about the grading policies just PM me. Thanks again for ceasing posting on this topic.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Wow 10/10 troll

-subtle ivy trolling

-request not to keep posting

-denial of facts

i just cant help but take the b8 m8

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?