How much better is 169 than 166? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ShirokaneTakanawa18

New

How much better is 169 than 166?

Post by ShirokaneTakanawa18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:59 am

Hi guys,
Just trying to get some friendly advice. Briefly, I’m 29 years old, non-traditional applicant that took the LSAT and applied February/March of this year. 3.3GPA/166 at the time. Didn’t bother applying to any of the T14. The best acceptances were:

BU: 75k
UC Irvine: 75K
GWU: 105K

I wasn’t happy with my initial score, but applied just to see how things would turn out. I retook in June and got slightly higher (169), but bombed the logic games section only, so I’m DYING to retake the test and see how I do when I actually finish the test. Like, I didn’t even answer the questions of the last game. Now, my questions are:

1)Let’s play conservative and say this 3rd take doesn’t go hot, so I’m working with the 169. In this worst case scenario, is it likely that I will get into a better school than UC Irvine at 75k? (This is the only school that I can attend this year because I didn’t pay the deposits).

2) My goal is T14 --> BigLaw Abroad. Is ED recommended assuming my best score is the 169? UVA ED?

3) Should I even bother applying to BU and GWU again?

Thanks,

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: How much better is 169 than 166?

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:57 am

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/scale.cfm

The entire percentile chart is contained in the above link. 166 is roughly 93rd percentile. 169 is roughly 97th percentile. In other words, one in every ~14 applicants will have a 166+. One in every ~33 applicants will have a 169+. Obviously, there's a bit of self selection that would alter those numbers per school.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am

ShirokaneTakanawa18 wrote:Hi guys,
Just trying to get some friendly advice. Briefly, I’m 29 years old, non-traditional applicant that took the LSAT and applied February/March of this year. 3.3GPA/166 at the time. Didn’t bother applying to any of the T14. The best acceptances were:

BU: 75k
UC Irvine: 75K
GWU: 105K

I wasn’t happy with my initial score, but applied just to see how things would turn out. I retook in June and got slightly higher (169), but bombed the logic games section only, so I’m DYING to retake the test and see how I do when I actually finish the test. Like, I didn’t even answer the questions of the last game. Now, my questions are:

1)Let’s play conservative and say this 3rd take doesn’t go hot, so I’m working with the 169. In this worst case scenario, is it likely that I will get into a better school than UC Irvine at 75k? (This is the only school that I can attend this year because I didn’t pay the deposits).

2) My goal is T14 --> BigLaw Abroad. Is ED recommended assuming my best score is the 169? UVA ED?

3) Should I even bother applying to BU and GWU again?

Thanks,
http://mylsn.info/ffcbyv

With your 169/3.2, you'll have at least one option, possibly with money in the T14.

It looks like your chances may improve very slightly by doing ED, but it doesn't look like there will be any $$ coming your way. http://mylsn.info/gdmd0z

Retaking can't hurt, but even if you go up 1-2 points, it doesn't look like it will have a big impact either way. http://mylsn.info/e2yl7i

Blanket the T14 early, write Why X's and visit. I applied in September and got into UVA and Penn (the latter off W/L) as a non-trad with a 169 and 3.0.

ShirokaneTakanawa18

New

Post by ShirokaneTakanawa18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Hey man,

First off, thanks for responding. Very informative post. So it's fair to assume that I'll get in somewhere better than UC Irvine assuming I do everything you just listed?

A quick question: I do think I can score higher on the retake, and actually 3 points or more (I guessed on like 7-8 questions on LG alone). Now, that is far from a certainty, but my question is: should I inform the schools of my retake, and have them hold their application review until then. I am thinking of applying in September for schools that I am above or at 75th percentile LSAT (Georgetown, UCLA, etc.) and having the rest of the T14 hold my application until the retake, because I honestly don't think I'll get in without the 172+ score anyways. What do you think?

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:28 pm

ShirokaneTakanawa18 wrote:Hey man,

First off, thanks for responding. Very informative post. So it's fair to assume that I'll get in somewhere better than UC Irvine assuming I do everything you just listed?

A quick question: I do think I can score higher on the retake, and actually 3 points or more (I guessed on like 7-8 questions on LG alone). Now, that is far from a certainty, but my question is: should I inform the schools of my retake, and have them hold their application review until then. I am thinking of applying in September for schools that I am above or at 75th percentile LSAT (Georgetown, UCLA, etc.) and having the rest of the T14 hold my application until the retake, because I honestly don't think I'll get in without the 172+ score anyways. What do you think?
Are you planning on taking the September LSAT? If so, you'll get your results by the end of the month. Get everything else ready and hit submit on Oct. 1. Anything before Thanksgiving is considered "early" in the cycle.

If you're planning on taking the Dec. LSAT, that's a bit trickier. January isn't super late to submit an app, but it could decrease your chances at a few places. You can play around with the admissions timeline chart to gauge the relative time-sensitivity of each school. (http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/timeline/chart/)
IMHO it's not necessary, and possibly counter-productive to ask them to hold your application. What if you retake and do worse? Then you've lost the benefit of having your app looked at early AND you have to directly communicate with them about how you miffed the retake.

Others may disagree, but if I were planning on doing a Dec. retake, I would submit in September. If you don't improve, you don't have to do anything. Schools may get the updated score from LSAC, but they probably won't care. If you do bump your score up a couple points, great! By January, when there's still plenty of time in the admissions season, you can email schools with your updated scores. The improved score will be useful for all three options you face:
1. (Already admitted) Thank you for admitting me. I have recently retaken the LSAT and improved my score to a 17X. I am still very interested in your program but I was wondering if you would reconsider my scholarship offer in light of my improved score.
2. (Still waiting) Hey look, I got a better score! F***ing admit me already!
3. (Dinged). I hope you would reconsider your decision in light of my improved LSAT score.

Apparently 3 has worked for some people in the past. Schools don't really care as long as they can report your higher LSAT on their ABA forms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:52 pm

169 is much better. At 169, you’re solidly in T14 land. And if you want biglaw, I wouldn’t bother outside T13 (so no Georgetown). You may be able to get high grades at GW or similar, but don’t count on it. Much better to not have to worry about being X percentile. And the T13 schools have excellent campus interviewing systems.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Hey sorry quick update. I didn't realize LSAC moved the Dec. LSAT to November this year.

I'll amend what I said above. I think you can still apply in September and send schools your updated scores when you receive them in December.
However, a December app is much better than a January app. You will still have an edge over the K-JDs sending in their apps after fall finals.

You'll have a slight advantage by applying early, but a Dec. app will give you more time to perfect your materials. Really it's a judgment call that's up to you. Good luck.

Otavia81

New

Post by Otavia81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:22 pm

I had a 162 and got it up to 165.

My career counselor said it made the difference in getting into law school at all.

I still didn’t get into a very good one and am having regrets.

But three points matter. Every point matters on that stupid test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”