Thoughts on two year programs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lvizcai1

New

Thoughts on two year programs?

Post by lvizcai1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:21 am

Hello,

I am going into my third year of undergrad (biology major with an interest in patent law). I am becoming more and more interested in the two year program that some law schools offer. Are these programs harder to get into? Are they respected in the law field? I just want to know if I’m going to be looked over for a job because I graduated sooner.

LostStrangerLives

New

Re: Thoughts on two year programs?

Post by LostStrangerLives » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Two year programs are quite rare at respectable law schools these days. A few top schools used to have accelerated programs, but to my knowledge, those are gone, now. There are some structural disadvantages to going through law school that quickly, namely losing your second summer. What were some of the programs you were thinking of?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:14 am

lvizcai1 wrote: I am going into my third year of undergrad (biology major with an interest in patent law)
I haven't ever really heard of any respectable 2 year programs. As an aside, if you want to do patent prosecution, you still have at least 3 years until you should go to law school. You really should get a PhD and/or substantial research experience to work in the life sciences side of patent prosecution.

Lawgiver1981

New

Post by Lawgiver1981 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:19 am

I’d like to know what law schools offer two year programs?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

AZ State, Stetson, Creighton, Albany, Dayton, Cooley, and a few others. I didn't see any worth attending. NW had one in the past, but they discontinued it.

I think it's a good idea to create a 2 year JD, but the ABA likely disagrees and would never agree to the program changes necessary to create a decent 2 year program.

Twiqbalz

New

Post by Twiqbalz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 am

totesTheGoat wrote:AZ State, Stetson, Creighton, Albany, Dayton, Cooley, and a few others. I didn't see any worth attending. NW had one in the past, but they discontinued it.

I think it's a good idea to create a 2 year JD, but the ABA likely disagrees and would never agree to the program changes necessary to create a decent 2 year program.
Pepperdine as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”