Stanford Interest w 3.1 GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brownkj

New

Stanford Interest w 3.1 GPA

Post by brownkj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Hey all,

I am just deciding that I want to go to Law school and Stanford would be my dream school. I am about to start junior year of undergrad, and until now I haven't had any extreme motivation behind my GPA so I currently have a 3.143. I am good at writing personal essays/statements and now that everything is on Khan Academy from the LSAC, I'm hoping to study and score well there... what do you think it will take?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Stanford Interest w 3.1 GPA

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Unless you are an African American male or a card-carrying native american with a 175+, you aren't getting into Stanford with anything close to your GPA. Sorry. Even a 3.3 gpa and a 180 is not enough. Don't fixate on one school.

hoos89

Gold

Re: Stanford Interest w 3.1 GPA

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm

brownkj wrote:Hey all,

I am just deciding that I want to go to Law school and Stanford would be my dream school. I am about to start junior year of undergrad, and until now I haven't had any extreme motivation behind my GPA so I currently have a 3.143. I am good at writing personal essays/statements and now that everything is on Khan Academy from the LSAC, I'm hoping to study and score well there... what do you think it will take?
No personal essay is going to get you into Stanford with a 3.14 (also...personal essays don't really matter much for law school admissions). Results on MyLSN for Stanford applications the last 5 cycles (including URMs) with GPAs 3.35 or below: 2 admissions, 5 waitlists, and 102 rejections (and I'm pretty sure the 2 acceptances are either fake accounts or don't have the correct numbers...one reports a 120 LSAT, for instance). Long story short: you're not going to Stanford Law School as a 1L (I suppose if you absolutely excel your first year of law school somewhere else you could transfer, but I certainly wouldn't count on that happening). You have time to increase your GPA, but it's highly unlikely you'll do it by enough to have a shot at Stanford (maybe if you get straight A+'s for the next 2 years and score mid-high 170s...maybe).

All that said...you can still get into a good law school if you score well enough on the LSAT (168+), and especially if you get your GPA up significantly over the next couple years. Just not Stanford.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”