Young professional with consulting experience looking to potentially transition into law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dawncheadle

New

Young professional with consulting experience looking to potentially transition into law school

Post by dawncheadle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi,

I'm currently a consultant for a large consulting firm following my undergrad at a top Canadian school. My initial goal going into university was to pursue law school, but I had a great opportunity that I chose to take.

Most people with similar work experience as I do elect to go to a T14 school in the states for their MBA. However, I'm just not sure if I truly want to be in the business world itself. Am I competitive for prestigious law schools in Canada/US with the following profile:

720 GMAT (if this is could somehow be indicative of potential LSAT performance)
2 years of management consulting experience (with excellent reviews)
3.6 GPA (3.92 in final two years)
Excellent undergraduate extra-curricular experience (program president, founded an extremely prestigious and large campus event)
Average extra-curricular experience following graduation
Good volunteering experience pre-and-post graduation

I also truly believe that I can get great academic or professional references if necessary.

Is there a chance for a good school? My main concern is my time away from school and my relatively weak GPA. I am willing on taking an LSAT course and have always performed well on standardized tests, so I feel as though I can reach the 20-80 percentile score for *most* programs.

Let me know what you guys think!

BrainsyK

Bronze

Re: Young professional with consulting experience looking to potentially transition into law school

Post by BrainsyK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Your extracurriculars are better than average. The GPA is neither good nor bad. You'll need an LSAT score to really know any odds. Mid 160s will get you most Canadian schools, a 170 will probably lock down U of T. If I were you, I'd just go for a Rotman MBA.

dawncheadle

New

Re: Young professional with consulting experience looking to potentially transition into law school

Post by dawncheadle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 pm

I know that alumni from my firm historically get into MBA programs such as Booth, Sloan, Columbia, Kellogg, Fuqua, Tuck, Johnson, etc. - essentially all non-H/S/W MBA programs.

Am I competitive for law schools of similar prestige, or do you think my best is just sticking to an MBA?

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 pm

dawncheadle wrote:I know that alumni from my firm historically get into MBA programs such as Booth, Sloan, Columbia, Kellogg, Fuqua, Tuck, Johnson, etc. - essentially all non-H/S/W MBA programs.

Am I competitive for law schools of similar prestige, or do you think my best is just sticking to an MBA?
You could be competitive, but top law school generally leads to equal or lower paying positions than top b-school, is more stressful, and is one extra year's worth of tuition and cost of living. Especially in Canada, the lawyer pay is low compared to management consulting and banking. I'd say any of the programs you've listed is more than good enough for your future unless you have some burning desire to be a lawyer.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:11 pm

1. Law schools don't care about extracurriculars. To the extent they do, yours are fine.
2. Don't go to law school.
3. Get a real LSAT score. You should be fine with a 170. But really, don't go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”