What range should I apply to? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
si95

New

What range should I apply to?

Post by si95 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:25 pm

Hey guys. Right now I am in my 5th year at Purdue University and I'm graduating in December. My situation is a little different. I started off with a major in Health Sciences with the intention of going to med school. After my freshman year it was clear to me that I did not enjoy any biology classes and had no further interest in going to med school. But because of family pressure I decided to stick it out and try my best. It didn't work, and I kept barely passing classes to the point where I just didn't care anymore about school. My 4th year I decided that I had to make a change otherwise my future is completely ruined. At that point my GPA was at a 2.17. I added a second major in Law and Society since law school is really what I have wanted to do for a while now. Since I have added that major, my semester GPA's for 4 semesters (including 2 summer semesters) has been consistently above a 3.6, and my overall GPA is now a 2.8. By the time I graduate in December I will have at least a 3.0 if not higher. I just took the LSAT and got a 166 score and I don't have plans to retake it at this point.

What range of law schools do I have a good chance at getting into?

nealric

Re: What range should I apply to?

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 pm

si95 wrote: I just took the LSAT and got a 166 score and I don't have plans to retake it at this point.
Make plans. Study for the LSAT like your life depends on it. Take it until you have a 170+ or until you've taken it at least 3 times. Then, you will have a shot at places worth going to or a full ride at some quality instutions. With a 170+, you will be what's known as a "splitter", which means that your admissions results may be a bit unpredictable.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm

With a 2.8 and a 166, you aren't going to have any legitimate options. Sure some tier 4 school will take you, but that comes along with 250k in debt and a 40% chance of ever finding a 40k a year job as a lawyer.

The above poster is right. Retake. Make plans. It is uncomfortable, but if you want to be a lawyer, your future career depends on it.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Retake the LSAT. For instance, you're probably out at WUSTL right now but would likely get a decent scholarship with just one or two more points (because it'll get you to their target median). If you get 170+ and raise your GPA to 3.0, you'll have a puncher's chance at Michigan, UVA, Georgetown and Northwestern or a significant scholarship from WUSTL (or smaller scholarships from UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, etc.). No single thing you do in your life could have as big of an impact on your future earnings as retaking the LSAT and seriously studying for it.

(I reference WUSTL because they're notoriously splitter friendly and scholarship heavy.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”