Diminishing returns on applying early? How early is too early? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AmbulanceChas3r

New

Diminishing returns on applying early? How early is too early?

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Been thinking about the application process for the fall. It would be great if I could apply the day apps drop, but I'm not sure if I can get my LORs that fast. Should I meet with my professors and try to have my LORs ready to go before school starts in mid-August? Is there any real benefit to applying the day apps drop as opposed to early October?

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Re: Diminishing returns on applying early? How early is too early?

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 am

Call me crazy, but I don’t see any benefit in applying that early. I think if you’re within the first couple of weeks the class size will still be mostly unfilled and your chances may increase slighltly. It is kind of shooting yourself in the foot Because early decision is telling the school you’re willing to attend at any price
Last edited by Synapse2018 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:25 am

Okay, so the problem with the above advice is that scholarship money gets given out as people apply, so the earlier you apply, the more shot you have at getting a good scholarship. Also, in applying early, you are absolutely NOT telling any school you will attend regardless of the cost (as opposed to applying *early decision,* which is different from just getting applications, plural, in early). If you apply later, a school may love you but may have given out a lot of money already and not be sure that they want/need you enough to give you a good scholarship. (Synapse, I'm really not sure on what you're basing the advice you're giving people.)

All that said, I don't think there is any benefit to applying at the end of August rather than early October or the like - I think I've seen Spivey/other consultants say that there are diminishing returns and adcomms don't look at applications that come in the first day until later anyway. Early October is going to be plenty early for scholarships.

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:00 pm

nixy wrote:Okay, so the problem with the above advice is that scholarship money gets given out as people apply, so the earlier you apply, the more shot you have at getting a good scholarship. Also, in applying early, you are absolutely NOT telling any school you will attend regardless of the cost (as opposed to applying *early decision,* which is different from just getting applications, plural, in early). If you apply later, a school may love you but may have given out a lot of money already and not be sure that they want/need you enough to give you a good scholarship. (Synapse, I'm really not sure on what you're basing the advice you're giving people.)

All that said, I don't think there is any benefit to applying at the end of August rather than early October or the like - I think I've seen MS9/other consultants say that there are diminishing returns and adcomms don't look at applications that come in the first day until later anyway. Early October is going to be plenty early for scholarships.
Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”