Florida vs. Florida State Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Staddle

New

Florida vs. Florida State

Post by Staddle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Any advice on the relative merits/demerits of UoF and FSU law schools for a law student who probably will not practice in FL and would like to do Big Law? I know that UoF is slightly better ranked, and FSU is significantly bigger. Would it make a difference if student could get a half scholarship at FSU. Tallahassee vs. Gainesville? Different student cultures? Thanks.

northwood

Platinum

Re: Florida vs. Florida State

Post by northwood » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

If you don’t want to practice in the state of Florida you should apply/ should have applied to the state flagship school where you want to practice.

Both of those schools see Great for Florida, not so much anywhere else. I’d say FSU may be better for government jobs, simply because it’s in the state capital

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 pm

getting biglaw from either is a big stretch. But the biglaw jobs those students get are for jobs within FL mostly. If you want biglaw and want out of Fl, there is literally zero reason to go to either

threelayerpsych

New

Post by threelayerpsych » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Re: Chances for Big Law

If you are interested in doing Big Law outside of the State of Florida, consider going elsewhere.

Can't speak for FSU. The statistics for the 2018 graduating class have not been released, but it is rumored *hint hint* The University of Florida for the Class of 2018 has a 95% employment rate with many of these jobs being
[+] Spoiler
in some kind of government work.
There are people who are ranked Top 10 of their class who cannot even secure a big law job outside of Florida.

If you decided to stay in Florida after knowing that, UF has a reputation for networking - you will find a Gator in literally every city around the country. Alumni are usually interested in responding to law students who want advice/help. Chances for big law outside the state are still slim, but you may be able to aggressively network yourself into the position you want if you have decent softs and hard criteria like Law Review, top 5%, etc.

Again: STILL SLIM.

Re: Student Cultures & Different Cities

Don't know anything about FSU.

UF has gotten increasingly filled with more academic students. The classes are stacked with gunners right now so expect aggressive competition for A's. Everyone is involved in some kind of extracurricular or co-curricular. Everyone knows everyone's business - it's called "Levin High" for a reason. Gainesville is a chill-college town that's gotten built up over the last 7 or so years. There are a lot of hipster restaurants, not much else to do except drink.

Re: Scholarship

The Dean at UF has been increasing aid for the incoming classes over the last three years. With the same amount of aid, UF is better than FSU.
[+] Spoiler
This only matters if you decide to even stay in Florida at this point.

threelayerpsych

New

Post by threelayerpsych » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 am

threelayerpsych wrote:Re: Chances for Big Law

The statistics for the 2018 graduating class have not been released, but it is rumored *hint hint* The University of Florida for the Class of 2018 has a 95% employment rate with many of these jobs being
[+] Spoiler
There are people who are ranked Top 10 of their class who cannot even secure a big law job outside of Florida.
Edit: Wanted to update my responses to this thread for any future readers. I was recently informed by my source that the Class of 2018 has a 55% employment rate, not a 95% rate. (It was an expected 95% rate upon graduation - LOL they were wrong.) The jobs still seem to be in a majority of government and policy areas. This only heightens the necessary caution when deciding to attend UF with dreams if Big Law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndskhjsdabnsjhk

New

Post by ndskhjsdabnsjhk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 pm

threelayerpsych wrote:

The statistics for the 2018 graduating class have not been released, but it is rumored *hint hint* The University of Florida for the Class of 2018 has a 95% employment rate with many of these jobs being
[+] Spoiler
Edit: Wanted to update my responses to this thread for any future readers. I was recently informed by my source that the Class of 2018 has a 55% employment rate, not a 95% rate. (It was an expected 95% rate upon graduation - LOL they were wrong.) The jobs still seem to be in a majority of government and policy areas. This only heightens the necessary caution when deciding to attend UF with dreams if Big Law.
Fuck me 55%??????? And I'm starting in Fall..... At least I'm not paying

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 am

threelayerpsych wrote:

[+] Spoiler
That seems really low for UF - are you sure?

threelayerpsych

New

Post by threelayerpsych » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
threelayerpsych wrote:

[+] Spoiler
That seems really low for UF - are you sure?
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, that's what career services has currently been telling graduated 3L students awaiting to take the bar and rising 3Ls currently starting their job search.

I also thought it was low. . .

Edit: I wanted to clarify that these are the statistics for PRE-BAR employment in the Class of 2018. It should be expected to increase once students actually pass the bar - by how much, who knows! It's also important to note that the Class of 2018 has been, overall, a less-than-stellar academic class when compared to the Class of 2017 and the current Class of 2019. This may or may not be a factor in their employment rates.

The Class of 2019 will be the first full UF experiment given 100% completely new resources and structures under the Dean, so we will most likely see an increase in all areas for future classes.

Career services is definitely trying to mitigate expectations for employment right now.

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Don’t count on biglaw from either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”