Quick help - should I cancel my LSAT TOMORROW if I'm not scoring Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LegalBiology

New

Quick help - should I cancel my LSAT TOMORROW if I'm not scoring

Post by LegalBiology » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:09 pm

if I'm not scoring where I need to be (more than 3-4 points lower than wanted score)

I just started studying for it after the spring semester ended, giving me only 3/4 weeks. I feel like I should have given myself more time to do practice problems and learn the ins/outs of the test more

i'm scoring 163~ on PTs and my goal is 170

should I cancel and schedule the July test instead? Is there ANY downside if I sit for the test tomorrow, see how I do, and then retake in, say, September if I need? Or should I try to only take the test once

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Quick help - should I cancel my LSAT TOMORROW if I'm not scoring

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:45 pm

You should take the test when you are ready. You aren't miraculously going to score 5+ points higher than your best practice tests on test day.

Postpone until you are ready. One issue with lsat takers is they assume they have to get their high score on this next test. The truth is it is much more important to take the test when you are ready. While it doesn't hurt taking the test more than once (outside of Yale), there is no point in taking it if you know you are going to get a low 160 when you are aiming for a 170. Just relax and study until you are ready to crush it.

LegalBiology

New

Post by LegalBiology » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:53 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You should take the test when you are ready. You aren't miraculously going to score 5+ points higher than your best practice tests on test day.

Postpone until you are ready. One issue with lsat takers is they assume they have to get their high score on this next test. The truth is it is much more important to take the test when you are ready. While it doesn't hurt taking the test more than once (outside of Yale), there is no point in taking it if you know you are going to get a low 160 when you are aiming for a 170. Just relax and study until you are ready to crush it.

so do other top 14s take your highest score in practice? i've read that some average in terms of admissions, but do they just say that? If I do take tomorrow and get a 163, then get it up to a 170 on my second try, will I be fine for T14s?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:37 pm

LegalBiology wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:You should take the test when you are ready. You aren't miraculously going to score 5+ points higher than your best practice tests on test day.

so do other top 14s take your highest score in practice? i've read that some average in terms of admissions, but do they just say that? If I do take tomorrow and get a 163, then get it up to a 170 on my second try, will I be fine for T14s?
Yes, no one averages anymore except maybe yale

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:01 pm

NYU’s website says they use the average FYI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Take the test when you are ready to take it. Cancel but take a full practice test in a public area(like a library) to simulate test-day-like conditions ( it will not be pin drop quiet on LSAT Day) then drill the question types/ sections that you need to( scored weakest)

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:30 pm

You should wait until your lsat score peaks before you take the test

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”