GW with 105k scholarship vs UCI waitlist vs reapply Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bluntmeat

New

GW with 105k scholarship vs UCI waitlist vs reapply

Post by bluntmeat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi all!

I'm having the toughest time deciding whether to further commit to GW with another deposit tonight ($1000 ugh) or ride out the UCI waitlist or reapply. I have a 3.33 GPA and a 160/166 LSAT. I applied rather late this past cycle (in January). Would reapplying early next cycle help at all? Do i need to retake the LSAT? I blind reviewed in the 170's but could never get the timing down for a 170+ practice test.

Thanks!

Anony1234

New

Re: GW with 105k scholarship vs UCI waitlist vs reapply

Post by Anony1234 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 am

You're looking at two very different, regional schools. If you want to practice on the East Coast, specifically DC or NYC, then you should probably take the GW with a scholarship. If you want to practice in CA, then wait it out and see what happens at UCI. You will likely have a harder time getting a job in CA from GW, and vice versa (if not much harder) getting a job in NYC or DC from UCI. Don't let their relative prestige in rankings get in the way of, what should be, an easy decision given practical considerations.

I would seriously consider retaking if timing is your only issue on the LSAT. That's a very learnable test. You will get faster with more practice, and scoring in the 170s should greatly expand your options. If you want to practice in CA, I would retake and push for UCLA or USC. Alternatively, a 170 should get you in at a G'town or Cornell if you want to practice in DC/NYC.

bluntmeat

New

Post by bluntmeat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Thank you for the response! I'm looking towards retaking and expanding my options.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Retake and reapply. Timing is easily learnable and applying early is a big help, even if your best score is a 166. Use this time to finalize your essays and submit you applications as early as possible next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”