Good or Bad Position? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ditmores

New

Good or Bad Position?

Post by Ditmores » Sun May 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi,
I'm new here, but I joined to inquire about my potential to get into a top 25-30 law school.

Undergrad GPA: 3.68 (Political Science/Mass Communications) Wayland Baptist University
Grad GPA: 3.55 (Library Science) University of North Texas

I've been a professional librarian since May 2013, but I've never considered it to be a long-term career. I was a student-employee in the library as an undergrad, enjoyed the job well-enough and got an MLS because I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I've always been interested in the law and in being a lawyer, but coming from a relatively humble background, feelings of inadequacy would always prevent me from pursuing that interest.

I've always done well on standardized tests, so I'm confident I can get a good LSAT score. My biggest concern is that after obtaining my MLS, I thought I enrolled in a Masters of Arts in Counseling program. I soon realized that working as a counselor wasn't really for me, a lot was going on in my life, I was working full-time, trying to help my parents through a divorce, and I fell behind in a Research Methods class. Most of the grade was a final project, I kept telling myself I could catch up so I didn't withdraw, but when I finally sat down to get the work done on the last day of class I realized there was no catching up and I got an F. It feels like a huge mistake now, and I'm especially concerned about the timing of it (later in my college career). How concerned should I be? If the schools I'm most interested in are the University of Texas (locale) and Notre Dame (because it's a Catholic school and I really relate to its mission and the emphasis it places on improving the world around us), do I still have a chance at these? What kind of LSAT score would I need to get?

P.S.
I should also add that I'd already taken Research Methods two other times in my life, including once as a grad student and made an A both times. I also don't know if this makes any difference, I'm an academic librarian, so even though I've been out of school for awhile I've remained in an academic setting.
Last edited by Ditmores on Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni V

Bronze

Re: Good or Bad Position?

Post by Toni V » Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Take two/three months and study hard for the LSAT. If you can rock a score in the upper-160 range you will be fine. Then you need to shoot for T14, or a high tier 1. Also, with a good score you might secure a meaty scholarship at a decent LS (should $ be an issue).

Ditmores

New

Post by Ditmores » Sun May 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Should I retake the course with the same professor and get an A, or is anybody really going to care that much? And thanks by the way!

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sun May 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Sure, why not. IMO schools mostly care about GPA (yours is fine) and LSAT. The better their enrollees’ scores are the higher the LS can climb in the rankings.

Danniel

New

Post by Danniel » Wed May 30, 2018 5:30 am

You can retake the tests for better results.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:06 am

Your grad school won't really matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”