Chance me: 3.4 GPA, 179 LSAT, WE Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inoahguy

New

Chance me: 3.4 GPA, 179 LSAT, WE

Post by inoahguy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:39 pm

I have a 3.4 undergraduate GPA at a decent state school, 179 LSAT, 3 years of work experience in an industry that's known for being difficult to get a job in. Have accolades for this work, plenty of work to show for my years of employment. UGPA is on the lower side because I worked 3 jobs at once during my junior year (one which required 8 hours of work every Sun.-Thurs.), and another required me to work every Saturday and Sunday from the morning through the evening. Worked every year of college. Also flubbed a math class freshman year with a C. Have two former professors lined up for LORs, with one professor saying I'm the best student he ever taught, although the cynical side of me says he's just blowing smoke. Do I have a shot at HYS, Columbia, Penn, NYU on regular decision? And should I submit an addendum for my lower GPA, or does the fact that I worked 3 jobs simultaneously while taking six classes at once show I have poor time-management skills, or some other kind of undesirable/irresponsible qualities?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Chance me: 3.4 GPA, 179 LSAT, WE

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu May 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Apply to the whole t13. You wont get Y or S, def unlikely at H, but might as well take a shot. Otherwise from Chicago down to Cornell you will get into some and you will get money at some. Wouldn't be surprised to see you get good money from Duke or Michigan and get nothing from Penn or NYU/Columbia. You are gonna have a weird cycle because of the GPA but that lsat keeps you in the game. Apply to all of the t13 and you will get something worthwhile.

inoahguy

New

Post by inoahguy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:58 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Apply to the whole t13. You wont get Y or S, def unlikely at H, but might as well take a shot. Otherwise from Chicago down to Cornell you will get into some and you will get money at some. Wouldn't be surprised to see you get good money from Duke or Michigan and get nothing from Penn or NYU/Columbia. You are gonna have a weird cycle because of the GPA but that lsat keeps you in the game. Apply to all of the t13 and you will get something worthwhile.
Thanks. What's the one school you're leaving off to refer to this list as T13 and not T14?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu May 24, 2018 6:01 pm

inoahguy wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Apply to the whole t13. You wont get Y or S, def unlikely at H, but might as well take a shot. Otherwise from Chicago down to Cornell you will get into some and you will get money at some. Wouldn't be surprised to see you get good money from Duke or Michigan and get nothing from Penn or NYU/Columbia. You are gonna have a weird cycle because of the GPA but that lsat keeps you in the game. Apply to all of the t13 and you will get something worthwhile.
Thanks. What's the one school you're leaving off to refer to this list as T13 and not T14?
Some people don’t consider Georgetown in the t14 anymore, hence the t13. That top group of schools was always separated because they had much better employment numbers than every other law school in the country. However, there has been a fairly significant decline at Georgetown that now brings its employment numbers equivalent to other t20 schools like Texas and UCLA. The difference in employment outcomes between the last t13- Cornell and Georgetown is fairly massive. And last year Georgetown completely dropped from the t14 in in the rankings, which is a bs metric but shows the decline.

elransfo

New

Post by elransfo » Fri May 25, 2018 8:34 am

You have a really, really solid shot at Columbia on down: https://jscalc.io/calc/zt21YwP4hMpgFuoT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”