Benefits to Early Decision? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AmbulanceChas3r

New

Benefits to Early Decision?

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Sat May 19, 2018 10:34 pm

I know some schools have scholarship programs for early decision applicants but what about for other schools? Do you have a better shot at admission?

Danniel

New

Re: Benefits to Early Decision?

Post by Danniel » Wed May 30, 2018 5:32 am

There would be such schools definitely. You need to do research over it.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am

Be careful to read what you agree to with early decision. You don’t want to have to wait a year if you get accepted to a school you don’t want to attend.
Most schools are clear on their website as to whether you can be considered for scholarships as early admission candidate.

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Thu May 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Npret wrote:Be careful to read what you agree to with early decision. You don’t want to have to wait a year if you get accepted to a school you don’t want to attend.
Most schools are clear on their website as to whether you can be considered for scholarships as early admission candidate.
Skimming through the CLS ED contract there's no mention of scholarships I think, just the obvious fact that you can't go to another school if they offer you more money

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:26 am

AmbulanceChas3r wrote:
Npret wrote:Be careful to read what you agree to with early decision. You don’t want to have to wait a year if you get accepted to a school you don’t want to attend.
Skimming through the CLS ED contract there's no mention of scholarships I think, just the obvious fact that you can't go to another school if they offer you more money
That’s not what it says. It says if you are accepted, you agree to matriculate, withdraw all other apps, decline any acceptances and not have more than one early decision application. That means you aren’t going to be getting any offers from other schools, in case you didn’t understand.
If you aren’t certain you will go if accepted and money is an issue, I wouldn’t apply early decision.
They can’t force you to attend of course, but you won’t be going to any law school next year if you decline an early decision acceptance.
Also schools do report early admission decisions, so other schools will find out and Columbia will find out if a person breaks the contracts.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... ct-cls.doc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:31 pm

ED is NEVER EVER worth it unless one of the two:

1- It is a school that gives a full tuition scholarship along with ED. Say Northwestern for example. These schools are the rarity.

2- Your family is independently wealthy and willing to blow 300k on your legal education.

Following from 2- if you ED to a school that does not give a full tuition scholarship, they have absolutely ZERO incentive to give you a dime in scholarships. You committed to attending and signed a contract. Either you attend the school or you wait out a cycle. Schools DO share this information amongst each other. Scholarships are used to attract better talent (aka better numbers) to schools. Applying ED provides zero incentive for the school to provide you any money. The different with a school that uses ED to give full tuition scholarships is they are using ED to get better numbers than they usually could, because it comes with a full guaranteed scholarship. For example, the people who get in ED at Northwestern tend to be above both 75%'s.

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:ED is NEVER EVER worth it unless one of the two:

1- It is a school that gives a full tuition scholarship along with ED. Say Northwestern for example. These schools are the rarity.

2- Your family is independently wealthy and willing to blow 300k on your legal education.

Following from 2- if you ED to a school that does not give a full tuition scholarship, they have absolutely ZERO incentive to give you a dime in scholarships. You committed to attending and signed a contract. Either you attend the school or you wait out a cycle. Schools DO share this information amongst each other. Scholarships are used to attract better talent (aka better numbers) to schools. Applying ED provides zero incentive for the school to provide you any money. The different with a school that uses ED to give full tuition scholarships is they are using ED to get better numbers than they usually could, because it comes with a full guaranteed scholarship. For example, the people who get in ED at Northwestern tend to be above both 75%'s.
my GPA is below NW's 25th right now and will only be slightly above the 25th if I get all A's next year. I also have very little work experience so I'm probably unlikely to be accepted to NW's ED program. I'm also extremely unlikely to get money from anywhere else that I would like to attend.
my parents are willing to pay for my COL + half my tuition. I'd probably be looking at around ~80-90k in loans.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:42 pm

AmbulanceChas3r wrote:

my GPA is below NW's 25th right now and will only be slightly above the 25th if I get all A's next year. I also have very little work experience so I'm probably unlikely to be accepted to NW's ED program. I'm also extremely unlikely to get money from anywhere else that I would like to attend.
my parents are willing to pay for my COL + half my tuition. I'd probably be looking at around ~80-90k in loans.
So to be clear, your parents are willing and able to write a 200k check? Because that is what you are asking them to do.

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:51 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
AmbulanceChas3r wrote:

So to be clear, your parents are willing and able to write a 200k check? Because that is what you are asking them to do.
yes

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 am

AmbulanceChas3r wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
AmbulanceChas3r wrote:

What are your numbers? It’s not clear that ED will give you a bonus in admission. Also, why are you interested in law school?
yes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”