Take year to raise 3.48 to potential 3.6 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SplitMyChances

New

Take year to raise 3.48 to potential 3.6

Post by SplitMyChances » Tue May 08, 2018 6:29 am

I'm going into the summer before my senior year of college ready to prepare to law school and the lsat. Through personal circumstance and introspection I'm confident going to law school right after graduation would be a good choice for me but I am also okay with taking one year off if it will significantly increase my chances of getting into a top law school. I'm aiming more for Columbia/NYU and currently have a 3.48 GPA (Good freshman year, subpar sophomore year, and a junior year abroad that does not affect my GPA). I've taken one completely cold LSAT and got a 158 which I plan on bringing up to a 170+. If I were to wait until next year to apply to Law School my GPA after senior year grades would go up to at most a 3.6 but may well be just under that.

Main question: Is a 3.5-3.6 and a some work experience much much better for getting into Columbia/NYU (admissions and money offered) with a 170+ or would my chances be similar with my current 3.48?

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Re: Take year to raise 3.48 to potential 3.6

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 am

Just apply first and decide later. I'm in a similar position and will probably work if I can't get into CLS/NYU/Mich

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Re: Take year to raise 3.48 to potential 3.6

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sat May 12, 2018 3:07 am

OP- Unfortunately you are already behind the curve for applying to law school for the 2019 starting class. Law schools start accepting applications and applicants in September and your odds of admission with numbers on the fringe, like a 3.48 GPA, are better early in the cycle. However, if you are waiting until September to take the LSAT, you won't have a completed application till sometime in late October or November when many slots have already been filled. Combine that with your GPA and you'll need a stellar LSAT to get in for the 2019 year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”