Undergraduate Assistance Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawinthecards

New

Undergraduate Assistance

Post by lawinthecards » Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 am

I am a community college student who will be transferring this fall. After receiving all of my admission decisions, I am very confused about which school to attend for undergrad. Thinking ahead is very important to me, as I am a non-traditional student as it is and am eager to pursue my goals. I have narrowed it down to Berkeley or Chapman. I know that these two are very different! Chapman is close to home, has an honors program, has a major I would enjoy, and promotes small class sizes. Berkeley is prestigious (probably the only thing I am stuck on), more rigorous, free of cost for me, but has large class sizes and is far from home. As of now, I am PT'ing at 170, have a 3.0 at my CC because I messed up 10 years ago, but have carried a 3.9 for the last two years, and am a URM.

Which undergraduate university should I attend to gain acceptance into a T-14 law school? Does it even matter? I feel like it will be way harder to get a high GPA at Berkeley and also know that my classes will be much larger which may inhibit strong connections/solid recs from professors.
Also, I want to apply during the fall of my senior year, but that will only give me 3 semesters or 2.5 because summer isn't as many units (fall,spring,summer) before I apply. I don't know how much I can get my GPA up in that time. Will I still have a shot or should I wait until I graduate?

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback! :wink:

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Undergraduate Assistance

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon May 07, 2018 10:17 am

Berkeley is the obvious answer because of 3 reasons.

1- it’s free

2- it’s free

3- it’s more prestigious

In that order

lawinthecards

New

Post by lawinthecards » Mon May 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Thank you for your feedback :). I’d like to hear any other opinions. I heard that Berkeley doesn’t like to take their students for law school. Is that true??

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 pm

I have no idea whether Berkeley takes their undergrads for law school, but Berkeley is the most grade-conscious of the lower t13. Given your GPA, even if you significantly raise it, you are an unlikely berkeley admit anyway, so that shouldn't even be a consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”