2.64 GPA(College issued) and 174 LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jasmith28

New

2.64 GPA(College issued) and 174 LSAT

Post by jasmith28 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:48 am

So as stated above my gpa in college was a 2.64 and my highest LSAT... so far was a 174.

I know in most circumstances this would be a pretty big split. I would like to get at least a top 50 school or T14 if possible.

I have 5 years work experience after college, I was an Army engineer officer for 3 years immediate after school. I got medically discharged and now have a GI Bill that pays up to 25k a year for tuition. I also receive a mo thou stipend. Past 2 years I worked as an electrical engineer for a Fortune 500 engineering firm with both electrical and managerial experience. I have very good work experience, though it’s not legal related.

My personal letter is very good because 3 years ago I was told I would not be able to walk again after my army injury and now I’m running marathons.

My goal is Northwestern, that is the school I dreamed of going to. Early decision and all. But I want the truth. What are the odds of getting in there with my scores and work experience.

And what options do you think I may have?

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Re: 2.64 GPA(College issued) and 174 LSAT

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sat May 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Unless you have a strong unpward grade trend or a compelling explanation regarding the GPA, T-14 would be a real longshot even with a 174. That said, if you'r going to apply to T-14 schools, you've picked the right one to shoot for given that NW places an emphasis on work experience and you'll have a chance to share your personal story during an interview.
For your reference, you can look at lawschoolnumbers and see what the lowest, reported, non-URM GPA acceptance number was each year for Northwestern

jasmith28

New

Post by jasmith28 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:21 pm

I appreciate being straight forward with me, how about regional schools such as George Mason, University of Richmond, or University of North Carolina? If not T14 then do I have a chance with some good regionals? Top 50’s?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat May 05, 2018 9:35 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:Unless you have a strong unpward grade trend or a compelling explanation regarding the GPA, T-14 would be a real longshot even with a 174. That said, if you'r going to apply to T-14 schools, you've picked the right one to shoot for given that NW places an emphasis on work experience and you'll have a chance to share your personal story during an interview.
For your reference, you can look at lawschoolnumbers and see what the lowest, reported, non-URM GPA acceptance number was each year for Northwestern
just fyi OP, this poster gives out really terrible advice. He has no idea what he is talking about.

That said, your GPA hurts. A lot. On the plus side, you have a nice lsat. You need to apply to the t13 broadly (that means everyone from the t6-t13) along with the better regional schools in your region.

If you apply the first day apps come out and you have a strong application otherwise, you will at least be in the running.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sun May 06, 2018 8:25 am

Sparky, wasn't you who just last week contended that someone with a 3.1 UGPA, a 3.8 Masters GPA and an LSAT in the high 160s had no chance at these very same schools? Well, at least this week you've come around to calling the top category of schools T14 rather than T13.

OP, back to your questions, based on what can be extrapolated from self reported admissions, NW accepts 1-5 applicants a year with GPAs below 3.0 and an LSAT score above 170. Factor out URM applicants, and you probably are competing for one or two spots in their entering class.
As far as whether you should apply broadly to T14 schools, while the time investment of applying to an additional school is not that much, you should reach out to schools and try and get fee waivers because the cost of applying can add up quickly.
On regional schools, yes I think that is where you are more likely to find success given your GPA number

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm

I would apply to Chicago and down through T20ish. A school like WUSTL might still through you a good amount of money. Probably no chance at HYS.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun May 06, 2018 3:47 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:Sparky, wasn't you who just last week contended that someone with a 3.1 UGPA, a 3.8 Masters GPA and an LSAT in the high 160s had no chance at these very same schools? Well, at least this week you've come around to calling the top category of schools T14 rather than T13.
An LSAT is the high 60s isn't the same as an LSAT of 174, though.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun May 06, 2018 4:15 pm

poptart123 wrote:I would apply to Chicago and down through T20ish. A school like WUSTL might still through you a good amount of money. Probably no chance at HYS.
I was a similar splitter (but lower GPA and lower LSAT), was in at some T-14s. Some full-ride scholarships among the T-20. I was full GI Bill, so it didn't matter. Was waitlisted pretty much everywhere, CHI, PENN, etc. but ended up doing okay with my cycle.

I'd put money on you getting in at UVA, GU, and NU, and probably at least 2 more T-14s, and full scholly offers from UT/WUSTL etc.

OP, you're probably good with VocRehab, so you can save your GI Bill.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sun May 06, 2018 7:18 pm

nixy wrote:
ExperssioUnius wrote:Sparky, wasn't you who just last week contended that someone with a 3.1 UGPA, a 3.8 Masters GPA and an LSAT in the high 160s had no chance at these very same schools? Well, at least this week you've come around to calling the top category of schools T14 rather than T13.
And a 3.1 GPA is a deviation higher than 2.64 GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DerKatze

New

Post by DerKatze » Sun May 06, 2018 8:03 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:just fyi OP, this poster gives out really terrible advice. He has no idea what he is talking about.
I find it incredibly ironic that this isn't the first time sparky has said something like this, despite the fact that his advice is consistently some of the worst on these forums.

I think a lot depends on why your GPA was so low, and Wipfelder's relates to that. You'll most likely get into a good regional school, and if there is a good reason for the GPA, a T14 or two like some people above said, but a lot is riding on your explanation for why.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun May 06, 2018 10:01 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:
nixy wrote:
And a 3.1 GPA is a deviation higher than 2.64 GPA.
Sure, but once you’re below a median it doesnt always matter as much how far below you are. A 174 with a below-25th percentile GPA is often more valuable than a 169 with a below-25th percentile GPA, even if the latter GPA is higher than the former GPA.

jasmith28

New

Post by jasmith28 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks for the posts, really gives me an idea of which schools I should apply to. The main thing is that from what y’all have said there is hope at getting into a T14 school with my credentials. I’ll apply from Chicago down as recommended and will also apply to some strong regional schools for some safety.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:15 am

I will just say when i went to NU, i knew a few people with similar stats, i also went to NU on similar stats so it is definitely not out of the question. You are probably going to have schools like UGA, Bama, Vanderbilt, WashU throwing money at you. My advice is based on the 2013 cycle but still it doesnt hurt to apply to NU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon May 07, 2018 4:26 pm

You definitely have a shot at NU. I went there as a veteran with a 3.0/173. Just send out the best app you can put together and hope for the best. The truth is the way these schools game the numbers once your GPA is below their 25th its all kind of the same, so the 2.64 isn't really going to negatively affect them any more than a 3.4 or whatever the 25th is. Your work experience is definitely a plus too.

NU is also a full yellow ribbon program participant so its a great spot to land as a vet. Good luck!

lmsf

New

Post by lmsf » Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 pm

I had a 3.1 GPA, 174 LSAT, and 5 years of work experience and got into NU with $$$, so you have good shot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”