Can I ask to be readmitted? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UMhopeful21

New

Can I ask to be readmitted?

Post by UMhopeful21 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:39 pm

I was accepted at a school, and decided it was too expensive and declined their offer of admission. They gave me 13k In merit scholarships but tuition is 39k not including cost of living. Now I regret declining their offer because it’s in a city I want to study and later practice in and I’m unsatisfied with my options. Is it unheard of to retract my withdrawal and ask to reclaim my position in the incoming class?

albanach

Gold

Re: Can I ask to be readmitted?

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

UMhopeful21 wrote:I was accepted at a school, and decided it was too expensive and declined their offer of admission. They gave me 13k In merit scholarships but tuition is 39k not including cost of living. Now I regret declining their offer because it’s in a city I want to study and later practice in and I’m unsatisfied with my options. Is it unheard of to retract my withdrawal and ask to reclaim my position in the incoming class?
A lot will depend on your stats and the school. If it's a top school, the money will likely have been allocated to another student by now and the class may be full. You don't have anything close to a full scholarship, so it's unlikely they will make an exception for you.

If it's a lower ranked school, they may have capacity for more students and the incremental cost of adding a student is less than your tuition dollars. You may get back in, but that leaves the question - is a school that's willing to reopen their doors to you worth $26k/year?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm laughing. Utterly laughing.

No it's probably not unheard of to beg to be readmitted, but I'm going to guess it's going to be better for you in the long run to retake and try next year.

UMhopeful21

New

Post by UMhopeful21 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:I'm laughing. Utterly laughing.

No it's probably not unheard of to beg to be readmitted, but I'm going to guess it's going to be better for you in the long run to retake and try next year.
Lol I know it was a stupid question but hey I was wondering. And good point I have been considering just trying again next cycle.

UMhopeful21

New

Post by UMhopeful21 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm

albanach wrote:
UMhopeful21 wrote:I was accepted at a school, and decided it was too expensive and declined their offer of admission. They gave me 13k In merit scholarships but tuition is 39k not including cost of living. Now I regret declining their offer because it’s in a city I want to study and later practice in and I’m unsatisfied with my options. Is it unheard of to retract my withdrawal and ask to reclaim my position in the incoming class?
A lot will depend on your stats and the school. If it's a top school, the money will likely have been allocated to another student by now and the class may be full. You don't have anything close to a full scholarship, so it's unlikely they will make an exception for you.

If it's a lower ranked school, they may have capacity for more students and the incremental cost of adding a student is less than your tuition dollars. You may get back in, but that leaves the question - is a school that's willing to reopen their doors to you worth $26k/year?
No you’re right it’s not. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”