Should I retake a failed class? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xxtsar

New

Should I retake a failed class?

Post by xxtsar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm a sophomore with a 3.2 gpa. Freshman year was rough for me, I took one W and an F on my transcript but Since then I've had almost straight A's. My university offers retake opportunities and I was wondering how would law school admissions (only T14) factor this in if I replaced the F with an A. I'm very confident I could retake the class and get an A, after doing so my gpa would go up to 3.4. This is a huge boost for me and makes me closer to my 3.5+ goal. My university replaces the grade and removes the past one from your gpa calculation but I had heard the law schools factor BOTH grades into the calculation. Any T14 success stories with some Ws and/or Fs on transcript? Thank you!

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Re: Should I retake a failed class?

Post by BeeTeeZ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:33 am

xxtsar wrote:I'm a sophomore with a 3.2 gpa. Freshman year was rough for me, I took one W and an F on my transcript but Since then I've had almost straight A's. My university offers retake opportunities and I was wondering how would law school admissions (only T14) factor this in if I replaced the F with an A. I'm very confident I could retake the class and get an A, after doing so my gpa would go up to 3.4. This is a huge boost for me and makes me closer to my 3.5+ goal. My university replaces the grade and removes the past one from your gpa calculation but I had heard the law schools factor BOTH grades into the calculation. Any T14 success stories with some Ws and/or Fs on transcript? Thank you!
The LSAC calculates the GPA that schools look at; if you clear that initial hurdle, law schools may look at your transcript(s) later in the evaluation process. Check the LSAC's FAQ info for yourself, but I'm pretty sure LSAC includes every grade on your transcript in its calculation, regardless of whether your undergrad "replaces" a grade pursuant to its own GPA calculation standards.

In other words, LSAC determines your GPA for law school application purposes, and LSAC bases its GPA calculation on your transcript(s), not whatever GPA those institutions independently calculated.

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:22 am

The above is right. I’m pretty sure whether they count the F from a repeated class depends on whether your school keeps the F on your transcript but don’t quote me on that. Regardless, I recommend repeating the class in case you decide not to go to law school or even just to have a better narrative about your personal maturity and your transxriot’s upward trend.

captainplanet

Bronze

Post by captainplanet » Fri May 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Your LSAC GPA will count both grades, but it's still a good idea to retake so you can say in your application that you retook the class. Some schools offer a way to get rid of a semester or certain grades so that they don't show up on your transcript at all, and in that case the LSAC wouldn't count the F (look into the LSAC's rules). Also, try to pack as many easy classes as you can to get your GPA to 3.5+. Maybe take some extra summer classes at a community college.

Lawgirl811

New

Post by Lawgirl811 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:28 pm

You should definitely retake the class. I got an F freshman year in math. I retook it and got a C- I am committed to Georgetown in the fall. It will be fine. Especially with your As Now. My transcript reads the same way. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”