Michigan State vs University of Arizona Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zazzy91

New

Michigan State vs University of Arizona

Post by Zazzy91 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 am

I received full tuition scholarships at both law schools. I know UA is much higher ranked, but I live in Michigan. I want to be relatively close to my family, community, and legal connections. Would it be a bad choice to go to MSU?

Thanks.

northwood

Platinum

Re: Michigan State vs University of Arizona

Post by northwood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Zazzy91 wrote:I received full tuition scholarships at both law schools. I know UA is much higher ranked, but I live in Michigan. I want to be relatively close to my family, community, and legal connections. Would it be a bad choice to go to MSU?

Thanks.
Are there any stops on your Michigan state scholarship? If their are and it’s not simply remain ingood academic standing then negotiate that out or decline it. What about Arizona? If you want to practice in Michigan and you don’t have any stipulations in the offset then no MSU is fine between the two choices

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 pm

If you are 100% certain that you want to remain in Michigan for a good while after law school, MSU will probably work out okay. This is especially true if you want to work in state Government there. That said, Arizona is a far superior school so if you have any doubts about where you want to practice, go with Arizona. Also, assume no option of going to OSU/ND/Indiana as that would probably offer the best of both worlds.

Zazzy91

New

Post by Zazzy91 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:15 am

OSU offered me a partial scholarship, ND has me waitlisted, and I didn't consider applying to Indiana until recently. I don't like any of my options as I had high hopes of getting into Michigan! Have no idea what I'm doing as of now..

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:59 am

Zazzy91 wrote:OSU offered me a partial scholarship, ND has me waitlisted, and I didn't consider applying to Indiana until recently. I don't like any of my options as I had high hopes of getting into Michigan! Have no idea what I'm doing as of now..
If you do not like any of your options, then DO NOT MATRICULATE INTO LAW SCHOOL THIS FALL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:25 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:If you are 100% certain that you want to remain in Michigan for a good while after law school, MSU will probably work out okay. This is especially true if you want to work in state Government there. That said, Arizona is a far superior school so if you have any doubts about where you want to practice, go with Arizona. Also, assume no option of going to OSU/ND/Indiana as that would probably offer the best of both worlds.
Arizona is a higher ranked school, but it's going to place you in Arizona. It being higher ranked isn't going to help you go anywhere else. So if the OP isn't sure where they want to practice, neither school is a good options, since they're regional schools that will place in that particular region. If the OP decides they want to end up in Maryland or Florida or Montana, Arizona provides no benefits over MSU.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I'd say AU only borders as a regional school. Looking at the recent job placement stats, between 66% and 75% of their class stays in Arizona. When you factor in self-selection based on existing ties to Arizona and the draw of in state admission and in state tuition, I suspect a solid 35-45% of each class could get a job outside of Arizona. And as OP has ties to Michigan, I'd bet on OP being able to return to Michigan with a degree from AU. With AU ranked 41st and having been in that range for a good number of years, compared to MSU at 88 and not showing much sign of moving above 80, I'd go with AU hands down.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:47 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:I'd say AU only borders as a regional school. Looking at the recent job placement stats, between 66% and 75% of their class stays in Arizona. When you factor in self-selection based on existing ties to Arizona and the draw of in state admission and in state tuition, I suspect a solid 35-45% of each class could get a job outside of Arizona. And as OP has ties to Michigan, I'd bet on OP being able to return to Michigan with a degree from AU. With AU ranked 41st and having been in that range for a good number of years, compared to MSU at 88 and not showing much sign of moving above 80, I'd go with AU hands down.
This is just simply wrong. Rankings in that context don't matter. MSU will place much better in Michigan than U of A will. The percentage of people from MSU who get out of state jobs is pretty close to the percentage of people who get out of state jobs from U of A, and the latter who aren't in Arizona are primarily in states that border Arizona. I'm not saying U of A's not a good school - it is - but for someone who wants to work in Michigan, it doesn't make sense, and if the OP changes their mind about working in Michigan and wants to work elsewhere, U of A will only be helpful if where they want to work is Arizona or its bordering states. Being ranked 41 doesn't make the school more nationally portable than being ranked 88.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:09 pm

nixy wrote:
ExperssioUnius wrote:I'd say AU only borders as a regional school. Looking at the recent job placement stats, between 66% and 75% of their class stays in Arizona. When you factor in self-selection based on existing ties to Arizona and the draw of in state admission and in state tuition, I suspect a solid 35-45% of each class could get a job outside of Arizona. And as OP has ties to Michigan, I'd bet on OP being able to return to Michigan with a degree from AU. With AU ranked 41st and having been in that range for a good number of years, compared to MSU at 88 and not showing much sign of moving above 80, I'd go with AU hands down.
This is just simply wrong. Rankings in that context don't matter. MSU will place much better in Michigan than U of A will. The percentage of people from MSU who get out of state jobs is pretty close to the percentage of people who get out of state jobs from U of A, and the latter who aren't in Arizona are primarily in states that border Arizona. I'm not saying U of A's not a good school - it is - but for someone who wants to work in Michigan, it doesn't make sense, and if the OP changes their mind about working in Michigan and wants to work elsewhere, U of A will only be helpful if where they want to work is Arizona or its bordering states. Being ranked 41 doesn't make the school more nationally portable than being ranked 88.
as someone going to a private firm in michigan....we recruit top msu grads and have no pipeline to a school like arizona whatsoever. if you want to return to MI as an arizona grad i really doubt any firm is going to treat you are a "higher quality" student based on arizona being a better school than msu in the usnews rankings.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Everyone just ignore that EU guy. He is either trolling or actively trying to give people the wrong advice. Too mad the old mods are gone, he would have been banned weeks ago

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”