Wayne Law revoked my full tuition scholarship. What now? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Zazzy91

New

Wayne Law revoked my full tuition scholarship. What now?

Post by Zazzy91 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Long story short.. I asked Wayne Law to extend my seat deposit deadline. Admissions refused. The Dean wants me to attend and has kept regular contact with me so I asked him to look into extending my deadline. He said sure.. Deadline approached, April 15th, he never got back to me about whether or not my deadline was extended. On April 16th, I received an email to contact Admissions by 5 PM or they will withdraw my application. I contacted them before 5 PM (at 4 PM) letting them know I will pay the deposit before the end of the day. (I get off of work late.) At 5 PM, I received a cancellation notice! They revoked their offer! I contacted the Dean again to look into the issue. The next day they offered to allow me to pay my seat deposit, but said my scholarship is no longer available!

What should I do?

Wednesday

New

Re: Wayne Law revoked my full tuition scholarship. What now?

Post by Wednesday » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 am

There isn't much you can do since you've missed your seat deposit deadline. You had been sitting on a large amount of money, which was likely re-destributed after you'd missed the deadline.
You can:
A) pay regular tuition (I wouldn't do it though. If they offered you a full-ride, you can probably get into a better school and pay tuition there instead)
B) Go to a different school
C) Wait out a cycle and retake LSAT to have better options next year.

Wednesday

New

Post by Wednesday » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:31 am

Also, by saying "they revoked their offer" you make it sound like they actually contacted you before the seat deposit deadline and told you they were taking their offer back. In your case, the offer simply expired.

I know how hard choosing a law school can be though, so I am definitely not judging. Hope you get what you want eventually!

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Wait it out, DO NOT PAY FULL TUITION. Unfortunately it sounds like you are SOL this time, and ultimately there is nothing you can do other than get back in touch with the dean/admissions and see if something can be worked out. If it comes to paying sticker or not starting this fall, I would wait.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:35 pm

Study for the June LSAT, since you should reapply next cycle

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zazzy91

New

Post by Zazzy91 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:07 am

The reason I did not pay my seat deposit was because the Dean made it sound like even though they do not extend deadlines, that he'd get it done for me. I took his word for it. He never got back to me to tell me that he in fact did not extend the deadline. As soon as I realized this I told them I will pay that very same day and they sent me a cancellation notice anyway. I am highly disappointed in how they handled my situation. I only intended on attending Wayne Law because I live in the area, have all my legal connections in the area, and cannot afford to move. Regardless, I've gotten into much better schools; I'll have to accept one of their offers.

I thank you all for the advice.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:59 am

Zazzy91 wrote:The reason I did not pay my seat deposit was because the Dean made it sound like even though they do not extend deadlines, that he'd get it done for me. I took his word for it. He never got back to me to tell me that he in fact did not extend the deadline. As soon as I realized this I told them I will pay that very same day and they sent me a cancellation notice anyway. I am highly disappointed in how they handled my situation. I only intended on attending Wayne Law because I live in the area, have all my legal connections in the area, and cannot afford to move. Regardless, I've gotten into much better schools; I'll have to accept one of their offers.

Welcome to an early K class. Your offer was in writing, parol evidence rule now being in effect. You failed to exercise the option before your written deadline.

Zazzy91

New

Post by Zazzy91 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 am

RCSOB657 wrote:
Zazzy91 wrote:The reason I did not pay my seat deposit was because the Dean made it sound like even though they do not extend deadlines, that he'd get it done for me. I took his word for it. He never got back to me to tell me that he in fact did not extend the deadline. As soon as I realized this I told them I will pay that very same day and they sent me a cancellation notice anyway. I am highly disappointed in how they handled my situation. I only intended on attending Wayne Law because I live in the area, have all my legal connections in the area, and cannot afford to move. Regardless, I've gotten into much better schools; I'll have to accept one of their offers.

Welcome to an early K class. Your offer was in writing, parol evidence rule now being in effect. You failed to exercise the option before your written deadline.
The Dean told me, IN WRITING, he would extend my deadline. The day after the deadline, IN WRITING, I was told to contact the office if I was going to pay the deposit or else my offer will be cancelled. (Would this notice not also be considered a courtesy offer? In that even though the deadline passed they were still allowing me to pay for my seat.) IN WRITING, I contacted them and I told them that I was paying as soon as I get off of work. Moments later I received a cancellation notice.

I understand where I went wrong, but I don't understand how admissions is not at fault as well.

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

RCSOB657 wrote:

Subsequent oral modification (assuming Dean's promise was after scholarship offer w/deadline) is allowed and enforceable; Parole evidence rule blocks prior negotiations not subsequent changes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 am

Zazzy91 wrote:
What should I do?
Retake the LSAT and get a scholarship to a better school.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Well, do you really want you deal with a school that punks you like that then?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”