Wait or get started with law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Baylor28

New

Wait or get started with law school?

Post by Baylor28 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 am

I’ve been accepted to South Texas College of Law. I want to go to Baylor Law (doesn’t matter which quarter I start). I got a 150 on my lsat and have been waitlisted at Baylor Law for the spring and summer quarters. My friend got in with a 153 to both of those quarters.
I plan to stay in Houston when I begin practicing law. Should I start at South Texas this fall (August) or wait, take the lsat again and get a few points higher and start at Baylor Law in the spring quarter (Jan/feb)?

alhookem2020

New

Re: Wait or get started with law school?

Post by alhookem2020 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 am

Baylor28 wrote:I’ve been accepted to South Texas College of Law. I want to go to Baylor Law (doesn’t matter which quarter I start). I got a 150 on my lsat and have been waitlisted at Baylor Law for the spring and summer quarters. My friend got in with a 153 to both of those quarters.
I plan to stay in Houston when I begin practicing law. Should I start at South Texas this fall (August) or wait, take the lsat again and get a few points higher and start at Baylor Law in the spring quarter (Jan/feb)?
Definitely wait and retake the lsat

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Baylor28 wrote:I’ve been accepted to South Texas College of Law. I want to go to Baylor Law (doesn’t matter which quarter I start). I got a 150 on my lsat and have been waitlisted at Baylor Law for the spring and summer quarters. My friend got in with a 153 to both of those quarters.
Retake and study like someone was going to pay you $100,000 for a great grade -- because someone will.

abcdefg1234567

Bronze

Post by abcdefg1234567 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Agreed. Wait.

How many times have you taken the lsat?
How much did you study?
How did you study?
How many PTs?
How badly do you want to be in debt?

You know you can do better. Study harder. Study smarter. And retake. You’ll thank us later.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:31 am

snowball2 wrote:
Retake and study like someone was going to pay you $100,000 for a great grade -- because someone will.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Baylor28

New

Post by Baylor28 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

I am ready to do literally whatever to get 160+ by the June Test. I don't work and have no obligations, and if I see an increase but think I can get better, I'll even skip out on June and take July, or both.

I'm constantly getting a 151 and my uGPA is a 3.4. I need a 165+ score to really get into any of the Top 25 schools, which is where I'd like to go.

I get about 18/23 LG, 28/50 LR, 10/27 RC (I get one passage almost fully correct then get through the second and third very poorly and guess on the last one).
I'm a slow reader so it really doesn't help with RC and screws me when I try to read quicker on LR.
I want to get a 160 and I feel it's a stretch because of my numbers on LR and RC.
I think It's best if i master LG (get -1/-0), and get about 40/50 right on LR, getting me about 60 total credited responses, roughly getting me a 153.
And If I get those 10 consistently like i have been for RC, that'll get me 70 credited, putting me roughly at a 158.
I'm confident I can get good at the games to do that, but what the hell do i do about LR and RC? I had a tutor for a little bit and the tutor said, "You get it. You're explaining it to me exactly right. I just don't know why you can't do that on paper."
Is it test anxiety?

I've taken BluePrint in person classes, Powerscore Online (during Hurricane Harvey so there was no point).
What do I do? If you want to blast me on this post, oh well, anything to get better, if you want to Private Message me, then please do so! Again, anything to get better!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am

Baylor28 wrote:I am ready to do literally whatever to get 160+ by the June Test. I don't work and have no obligations, and if I see an increase but think I can get better, I'll even skip out on June and take July, or both.

I'm constantly getting a 151 and my uGPA is a 3.4. I need a 165+ score to really get into any of the Top 25 schools, which is where I'd like to go.

I get about 18/23 LG, 28/50 LR, 10/27 RC (I get one passage almost fully correct then get through the second and third very poorly and guess on the last one).
I'm a slow reader so it really doesn't help with RC and screws me when I try to read quicker on LR.
I want to get a 160 and I feel it's a stretch because of my numbers on LR and RC.
I think It's best if i master LG (get -1/-0), and get about 40/50 right on LR, getting me about 60 total credited responses, roughly getting me a 153.
And If I get those 10 consistently like i have been for RC, that'll get me 70 credited, putting me roughly at a 158.
I'm confident I can get good at the games to do that, but what the hell do i do about LR and RC? I had a tutor for a little bit and the tutor said, "You get it. You're explaining it to me exactly right. I just don't know why you can't do that on paper."
Is it test anxiety?

I've taken BluePrint in person classes, Powerscore Online (during Hurricane Harvey so there was no point).
What do I do? If you want to blast me on this post, oh well, anything to get better, if you want to Private Message me, then please do so! Again, anything to get better!
1- if you are a slow reader, you need to read MUCH MUCH more. I have recommended this to other students I was tutoring and they all drastically improved their RC. Go to your local library, order as many of Plato's dialogues as you can get, and start reading. Read a dialogue (most are fairly short) a day. Force yourself you read and comprehend the material, but don't slow down. Start at a consistent pace and keep that pace going. Make it feel like a test. The advantage of this is you will start improving your reading comprehension time wise but also practice reading dense, logic filled passages. Force yourself to do this. It sounds crazy, but you need to read things that are boring and full of dense logical material.

2- there is no excuse for getting any wrong in games. You need to go and print out all the games sections the lsat has ever given. You can find them in PDF online if you look hard enough. Practice games all the time. When I got my 175+ score, I had probably done every game section up until that lsat at least 4-5 times. Those are free points.

3- For LR, you need to memorize the 13 different types of question stems. Do not even practice answering the questions until you can recognize immediately what the question stem is asking of you and the type of answer. A good tutor/someone who has scored a 175+ can read the question stem and already know the correct answer 90% of the time. Once you have the question stems and what they are asking memorized, then start practicing the questions.

Source: I myself have a 175+ official score, and have tutored multiple people to 170+ scores. Those three points make up the majority of issues. If you can spend time working on these three things, your score will go up significantly.

Baylor28

New

Post by Baylor28 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:53 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
Baylor28 wrote:I am ready to do literally whatever to get 160+ by the June Test. I don't work and have no obligations, and if I see an increase but think I can get better, I'll even skip out on June and take July, or both.

Is it test anxiety?

1- if you are a slow reader, you need to read MUCH MUCH more. I have recommended this to other students I was tutoring and they all drastically improved their RC. Go to your local library, order as many of Plato's dialogues as you can get, and start reading. Read a dialogue (most are fairly short) a day. Force yourself you read and comprehend the material, but don't slow down. Start at a consistent pace and keep that pace going. Make it feel like a test. The advantage of this is you will start improving your reading comprehension time wise but also practice reading dense, logic filled passages. Force yourself to do this. It sounds crazy, but you need to read things that are boring and full of dense logical material.

2- there is no excuse for getting any wrong in games. You need to go and print out all the games sections the lsat has ever given. You can find them in PDF online if you look hard enough. Practice games all the time. When I got my 175+ score, I had probably done every game section up until that lsat at least 4-5 times. Those are free points.

3- For LR, you need to memorize the 13 different types of question stems. Do not even practice answering the questions until you can recognize immediately what the question stem is asking of you and the type of answer. A good tutor/someone who has scored a 175+ can read the question stem and already know the correct answer 90% of the time. Once you have the question stems and what they are asking memorized, then start practicing the questions.

Source: I myself have a 175+ official score, and have tutored multiple people to 170+ scores. Those three points make up the majority of issues. If you can spend time working on these three things, your score will go up significantly.

Is the LSAT Trainer a good tool to learn LR, LG, and RC?

jbp15860

New

Post by jbp15860 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:04 am

Why are you so hell bent on going to Baylor? I mean, every one says it's a miserable experience, Waco is a dump, and I know STLC isn't ranked or anything, but it supplies a lot of attorneys in Houston, even at corporate firms. If you're trying to get into Baylor, you might as well try and go into UH. It's better than Baylor and you'll be able to live in Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”