Wake Forest v. Texas A&M for Patent Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NCPatentAgent

New

Wake Forest v. Texas A&M for Patent Law

Post by NCPatentAgent » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:56 pm

I am currently trying to choose between Wake and Texas A&M. I recently passed the patent bar and have a science background. Texas A&M would be ~8k cheaper annually.

Wake Forest is more highly ranked, but Texas A&M appears to have better resources for students interested in IP. I have also heard it stated that school selection doesn't matter as much for IP law.

Any input would be appreciated.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Wake Forest v. Texas A&M for Patent Law

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:59 pm

The whole "this school has better resources" schtick is only meaningful for a school's admissions brochure. It does not matter. What does matter is the cost of attending both schools, where you want to practice, and why you want to be a lawyer. Most importantly, if you want a shot at practicing at some of the best patent firms in the country, both of these schools should be off the table. Your first-year law school grades are still important. So, if you get sucked into the middle of the curve, you will be in a world of hurt at these schools.

TCR: Retake and go to T14

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 am

What would it take you to get into SMU instead of A&M (Assuming the purpose of going to A&M is to get into the Dallas IP market)? I knew 7 or 8 IP focused students at SMU and 2 or 3 at A&M. The SMU students had their pick of jobs. The A&M students had jobs available, but had to hustle if they wanted the good ones.

When I was working in DFW, A&M was interacting heavily with mid-sized general practice law firms and the smaller IP boutiques in Dallas trying to get somebody to take a chance on their students. They generally weren't reaching out to the top tier firms. I know that the university was dumping a ton of resources into the law school, so it's possible that their standing has improved over the last year or so.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:35 pm

I went to undergrad in NC and worked in Dallas as a patent agent before law school (EE background). Quite familiar with these law schools.

IMO, Texas A&M is not a reputable law school. Yes, it will only climb in the rankings, but it does not place students at top firms. Not saying it's impossible to land big law from there, but you would be quite the exception. Too risky for my tastes...

SMU is on par with Wake Forest in the sense that they are tier 1 law schools. I think SMU might have a slight advantage over Wake simply because it feeds into Dallas, which has a large legal market. Wake feeds into Charlotte and RTP, both of which are smaller and more insular. Either of these schools can place into the top big law firms though. You should be able to get an IP job somewhere in the South from Wake or SMU, assuming you're a good interviewer.

To answer your question... if Wake is only $8k more expensive than A&M, then you should go to Wake. It's a much better school. Texas A&M's claim of dumping resources for its IP program is meaningless.

Think about where you want to end up: if you want to work in DFW, then you should go to UT or SMU. If you want to work in NC, then you should go to Wake. I would not attend Texas A&M, even with a full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”